||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
As von Gelb in the series Freewheelers (1969)
15 November 1910|
|Died||1 June 2005
Northwood, Greater London, England
Cause of death
Geoffrey Toone (15 November 1910 – 1 June 2005) was an Irish character actor based in the United Kingdom. Most of Toone's film roles after the 1930s were in supporting parts, usually as authority figures, though he did play the lead character in the Hammer Films production The Terror of the Tongs in 1961
- As Sir Edward Ramsay in the musical film The King and I (he dances with Deborah Kerr in the banquet sequence, much to the annoyance of the King).
- The BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who:
- In Yes Minister.
- In Freewheelers as the Nazi officer Von Gelb who continually tries to avenge Germany's WWII defeat.
- As Lord Ridgemere, owner of the stately home where Delboy and Rodney dropped a chandelier in the Only Fools and Horses episode, "A Touch of Glass".
- As Lord Bittlesham, a recurring character in the TV adaptation of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster.
He died from natural causes, aged 94, at Denville Hall in Northwood, London. At the time of his death, Toone was one of the last survivors of the Old Vic theatre company of the 1930s, having appeared alongside the likes of John Gielgud and Laurence Olivier in productions of Shakespeare. At the time, he was also the longest-lived actor to have appeared in Doctor Who. For many years he had shared a house with the actor Frank Middlemass.
- Luck of the Navy (1938)
- Sword of Honour (1938) ... as Bill Brown
- Queer Cargo (1938) ... as Lieutenant Stocken
- Night Journey (1938) ... as Johnny Carson
- North Sea Patrol (1939) ... as Cmdr.Clive Stanton
- Sword of Honour (1939)
- Poison Pen (1940) ... as David
- An Englishman's Home (1940) ... as Peter Templeton
- The Man Between (1953)
- The King and I (1956) ... as Sir Edward Ramsey
- Zero Hour! (1957) ... as Dr. Baird
- The Entertainer (1960) ... as Harold Hubbard
- The Terror of the Tongs (1961) ... as Captain Jackson Sale
- Dr Crippen (1962) ... as Mr. Tobin
- Captain Sindbad (1963) ... as Mohar
- Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) ... as Temmosus
- The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982) ... as the Marquis de St. Cyr