|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||7
(plus 1 mini-series)
|No. of episodes||61
(including specials) (List of episodes)
|Executive producer(s)||Suzanne Readwin
|Running time||42 minutes
|Production company(s)||Lime Pictures|
|Picture format||16:9 1080i HDTV|
|Original run||24 May 2011– present|
|Related shows||Jersey Shore
Beauty School Cop Outs
Geordie Shore is a British reality television series broadcast on MTV. Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, it was first broadcast on 24 May 2011, and is the British spin-off of the American show Jersey Shore. "Geordie" is the regional nickname and dialect given to the people of the Tyneside area of North East England, and is closely associated with the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and its environs where the show is set. However the show includes cast members from various parts of North East England.
Geordie Shore was commissioned in January 2011. In June 2011, two summer specials based in Magaluf were announced as well as a reunion special. On 15 August 2011 it was announced that Geordie Shore had been recommissioned for a second series with an extended eight episode run. On 7 December 2011 it was confirmed the second series would begin on 31 January 2012. After the Magaluf specials Greg Lake announced he was to leave the show and not appear in the second series. Rebecca Walker (18) and Ricci Guarnaccio (25) were cast as Lake's replacements.
For series two the cast moved from their home in Jesmond to a new house in a converted warehouse on the outskirts of the city. In January 2012 the cast launched their own fragrance, capturing the essence of Newcastle. Titled L’eau De Geordie (the world's first ever KEBAB scented perfume), their spoof perfume was to mark the premiere of the second series.
On 23 February 2012, it was announced that the cast of Geordie Shore would head to Cancún in Mexico for Spring Break – eight episodes were filmed for series 3. Series 3 began filming in early March and aired on MTV in June, it was later confirmed by cast member Gary Beadle via Twitter. In the article of the announcement of the third series the Senior Vice President and Director of Television for Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN) Kerry Taylor said the following in an article on the MTV UK website "There has been an overwhelming response to Geordie Shore from our audiences across the globe – both from a ratings perspective and across social media platforms".
Newcastle has also benefited from the show by increased tourism. Hotels and travel agents have attributed increased bookings, up by as much as three of four times in 2012 from 2011, to the popularity of the program.
On 10 January 2013, MTV confirmed that the fifth series of Geordie Shore will follow the cast in several locations across Europe including Amsterdam, Barcelona, Prague and Tignes. Filming for series 5 began on 14 November 2012, as confirmed by several cast members on Twitter, and concluded in December. The series began on 19 February 2013.
On 25 February 2013 it was revealed the sixth series would be located in Sydney, Australia and would air Summer 2013. Filming for this series began on 2 April as confirmed by cast member Gaz on Twitter. However, Charlotte was absent from the beginning of filming and joined the remaining cast on 7 April. On 28 May, it was announced on the official Facebook page that the sixth series would begin 9 July 2013.
On 5 July 2013 it was announced that there will be a seventh series of Geordie Shore which they began filming for on 26 June 2013. It was revealed that they were filming the series when Holly and Vicky were both arrested on a night out for assault during filming and are now temporarily suspended pending further enquiries. On 12 July 2013 it was announced that Sophie had been axed from the show after using offensive behaviour on the night when Holly and Vicky were arrested. Holly Hagan was cleared on 21 August 2013. Following the axe, there was a lot of controversy on Twitter as Sophie had to change her Twitter username. Whilst all the other cast members, past and present have their name followed by GShore, Sophie's now includes her full name.
On 13 August 2013 it was announced there would be a new cast member joining in Series 7, who was later revealed to be Marnie Simpson. It was also announced that Series 7 would begin 17 September 2013.
In 2014, it was announced that Charlotte had her own TV series which will air on TLC. It was also revealed that had Vicky joined the cast of Ex On The Beach where single men and women live on an island looking for love before being joined by their exes. She was later joined by fellow Geordie Shore cast member Ricci, as well as Australian fling from Series 6, Dan Conn.
|Year||Series||Predominant Location||Number of Episodes||Average MTV viewers 1|
|2011||Series 1||Newcastle, England||6||631,000|
|Magaluf Madness||Magaluf, Spain||2||477,000|
|2012||Series 2||Newcastle, England||8||617,000|
|Series 3||Cancún, Mexico||8||882,000|
|Series 4||Newcastle, England||8||994,000|
|2013||Series 5||Newcastle, England||8||908,000|
|Series 6||Sydney, Australia||8||1,038,000|
|Series 7||Newcastle, England||6||1,040,000|
|2014||Series 8||Newcastle, England||TBA||N/A|
In a column for Metro, Christopher Hooton described the show as "a gaudy kaleidoscope of six packs, shots, fights, simulated fellatio and exposed breasts," but said that criticism of the show was futile given its intent, noting that "being shocked by the lasciviousness of Geordie Shore is like being shocked by the lack of nutrition in a Pot Noodle." Newcastle Central MP Chi Onwurah has described the show as "bordering on pornographic," and announced she will be raising questions in Parliament about the issues raised by the programme.
The show has been a continued success for MTV UK. Series 6 has been the highest rated to date with the first episode attracting 1,108,000 viewers, and the second attracting 1,133,000. This is the most viewed episode to date. Series 7 was also the first series in which every episode received over 1 million viewers.
The show has also been very popular on the social network Twitter with the cast clocking up a total of 9,000,000 followers.
The original cast members were: Gary "Gaz" Beadle, Charlotte-Letitia Crosby, Jay Gardner, Holly Hagan, Greg Lake, Sophie Kasaei, Vicky Pattison and James Tindale.
Lake made a guest appearance in the opening episode of series 2 where he announced his departure. He was replaced by Ricci Guarnaccio and Rebecca Walker. The third series saw no cast member changes.
After the third series, Gardner and Walker exited the show and auditions were held to find their replacements for the fourth series of Geordie Shore. Daniel Thomas-Tuck and Scott Timlin joined the cast. The fifth series saw no cast member changes.
On 2 April 2013, it was announced that Thomas-Tuck and Guarnaccio had left Geordie Shore and would not be returning for the sixth series. On 9 April 2013 it was confirmed that former cast member Jay Gardner, who featured from series 1–3, would be returning briefly for the sixth series. The sixth series began 9 July 2013.
On 12 July 2013 it was announced that Sophie Kasaei had been sacked from the show following an incident which took place in a nightclub where she used a racist term off camera. Sophie will have appeared in the show from series 1–7.
|Series||Episodes||Name||Age at start of series||From||Quote|
|1–||54||Gary "Gaz" Beadle||23||Prudhoe, Northumberland||"I should have a degree in pulling women."|
|1–||53||Charlotte Letitia Crosby||20||Sunderland||"I would never kiss anyone without a six-pack"|
|1–||53||Holly Hagan||18||Middlesbrough||"I'm fit, I'm flirty and I've got double F's."|
|1–||50||Vicky Pattison||23||Wallsend, North Tyneside||"I am a Geordie girl with a V.I.P. edge."|
|1–||54||James Tindale||20||Consett, County Durham||"The hardest graft I've ever done is doing my hair."|
|4–||30||Scott Timlin||24||Newcastle||"Get me in this house 'cause I'm gonna tear the place up."|
|7–||6||Marnie Simpson||20||South Shields||"I'm a natural beauty; real boobs, real hair."|
|1||8||Greg Lake||26||Whitley Bay, North Tyneside||"Dress to impress - that's me."|
|1–3, 6, 7||28||Jay Gardner||25||Gateshead||"My biggest fear is getting wrinkles."|
|1–7||49||Sophie Kasaei||21||South Shields||"I could talk the back legs off a donkey!"|
|2–3||16||Rebecca Walker||18||Newcastle||"I've got a bangin' body, and the banter to match."|
|2–5||29||Ricci Guarnaccio||24||Newcastle||"Got the looks, got the charm; it just works."|
|4–5||16||Daniel Thomas-Tuck||19||County Durham||"If you look up 'pulling' in the dictionary, my name would be next to it."|
Duration of cast
|Current cast members|
|Cast members||Series 1||MM||Series 2||Series 3||Series 4||Series 5||Series 6||Series 7|
|Former cast members|
|Cast members||Series 1||MM||Series 2||Series 3||Series 4||Series 5||Series 6||Series 7|
- Key: = Cast member is featured in this episode.
- Key: = Cast member arrives in the house.
- Key: = Cast member voluntarily leaves the house.
- Key: = Cast member leaves and returns to the house in the same episode.
- Key: = Cast member is removed from the house.
- Key: = Cast member returns to the house.
- Key: = Cast member features in this episode, but is outside of the house.
- Key: = Cast member does not feature in this episode.
- Key: = Cast member leaves the series.
- Key: = Cast member returns to the series.
- Key: = Cast member is removed from the series.
- Key: = Cast member features in this episode despite not being an official cast member at the time.
Off screen exits
- During the third episode from the seventh series, Vicky did not appear in this episode and it was announced that she had been removed from the house. Her departure wasn't shown on screen but Anna revealed that she wouldn't be returning for rest of the series. Although featuring in the beginning of the episode, it was then announced by Anna that Sophie had also been removed from the house. This led to Sophie's departure from the show. Her exit was also off screen.
Geordie Shore premiered in Canada in 2011 on MTV Canada. In Australia the programme began airing in 2011 on MTV Australia. In 2011, the show was bought by Network Ten and now broadcasts the series on its digital channel Eleven also in Australia. In 2012 it began airing in New Zealand on MTV (New Zealand). The United States premier was in 2012 on MTV.
- "Jersey Shore v Geordie Shore". BBC News. 4 February 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Geordie Shore". MTV. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Geordie Shore". MTV. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Plunkett, John (24 January 2011). "MTV buffs up Jersey Shore for UK as Geordie Shore". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Pettie, Andrew (25 January 2011). "Geordie Shore and the dawn of 'hyper-reality TV'". The Telegraph. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Nissim, Mayer (24 January 2011). "MTV UK greenlights Geordie Shore". Digital Spy. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Woodcock, Laura (16 June 2011). "Thornaby girl Holly Hagan set for Geordie Shore return". gazettelive.co.uk. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- Fletcher, Alex (2 June 2011). "Geordie Shore films Magaluf summer specials". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- Newman, Vicki (22 August 2011). "Geordie Shore returns for summer special". The Shields Gazette. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- Fletcher, Alex (25 August 2011). "Geordie Shore handed second series by MTV". Digital Spy. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Fletcher, Alex (7 December 2011). "Geordie Shore series two launches in January". Digital Spy. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Caroe, Laura (2 February 2012). "Geordie Shore gets more steamy". The Sun. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Geordie Shore season 3 confirmed Cancun Spring Break". MTV. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Fletcher, Alex (23 February 2012). "Geordie Shore heads to Cancun in Spring Break for series three". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Gaz (@GazGShore) on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Dutta, Kunal (26 February 2012). "The boat comes in for Geordie Shore as tourism booms - TV & Radio - Media". The Independent. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Fletcher, Alex (10 January 2013). "'Geordie Shore' goes on European tour for series five". Digital Spy. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Twitter / GazGShore: Couple more hours on twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Twitter / CharlotteGShore: Packing my life into suitcases". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Twitter / SophieGShore: Series 5!!!!! #Filming see". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Twitter / JamesGShore: #packing can't believe it's". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Geordie Shore Heads Down Under! MTV UK & Ireland, 25 February 2013
- Geordie Shore heading to Sydney for sixth series Colin Daniels, Digital Spy, 25 February 2013
- "GazGShore: Flight time ... Ill tweet if". Twitter. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Howell, Anna (2013-04-04). "Geordie Shore: Cast touch down in Australia to film series 6 after Charlotte Letitia Crosby and Gaz Beadle's worst ever fight was aired on Tuesday night!". Unreality TV. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "CharlotteGShore: Ahhhhh life is gooddddđ&#x;˜Œnow". Twitter. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "CharlotteGShore: In Singapore! It's so hot!". Twitter. 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Battersby, Matilda (2013-07-05). "Geordie Shore filming suspended as stars Vicky Pattison and Holly Hagan arrested for assault". The Independent. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Geordie Shore's Sophie Removed From Show". MTV. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Johnson, Chris (2013-08-21). "Brawl probe clears Geordie Shore's Holly Hagan". Daily Star. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "New Geordie Shore star’s ‘cash-for-crash’ shame". Shields Gazette. 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- "Weekly Top 10 Programmes". BARB. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Hooton, Christopher (28 May 2011). "MTV's Geordie Shore was high quality programming". Metro. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- "MTV's Geordie Shore upsets locals". BBC News. 29 May 2011. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "Top 10 Programmes". BARB. Archived from the original on 2013-01-13. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Geordie Shore Cast Revealed!". MTV. 27 April 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Greg Lake quits Geordie Shore". MTV. 28 October 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "New Geordie Shore Cast Member!". Geordie Shore Web. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Fletcher, Alex (23 May 2012). "Geordie Shore looking for new castmates for series four". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Sperling, Daniel (12 July 2012). "'Geordie Shore's Jay Gardner announces exit: 'I'll go out with a bang'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- Fletcher, Alex (19 July 2012). "'Geordie Shore': Rebecca Walker is latest cast member to leave show". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Sperling, Daniel (2 October 2012). "'Geordie Shore' unveils new male cast members - pictures". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Mint New Boys Dan And Scott Join Geordie Shore". MTV. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Ricci and Dan Leave Geordie Shore!". MTV. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- "Geordie Shore's Jay Back For Series 6!". MTV. 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- "Geordie Shore". Facebook. 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Fletcher, Alex (2013-08-13). "Geordie Shore: Sophie Kasaei replacement revealed - Meet the new girl". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Geordie Shore, season 1 iTunes
- Geordie Shore Netflix
- "Geordie Shore - Season 1 - Episodes". MTV Canada. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- "Geordie Shore - Season 1 - Episodes". MTV Australia. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- "Geordie Shore - Season 1". MTV. Retrieved 2013-08-13.