|Born||21 August 1907
|Died||16 May 1980
|Years of service||1935–1945|
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 57|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
|Other work||Police officer|
Georg Briel (21 August 1907 – 16 May 1980) was a highly decorated Oberstleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Georg Briel was captured by Allied troops in May 1945 and was released by June 1945.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (22 September 1939)
- 1st Class (30 August 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (3 February 1942)
- West Wall Medal (20 March 1940)
- General Assault Badge (15 January 1942)
- Heeres-Flakabzeichen (27 April 1943)
- Silver Medal of Military Valor (18 February 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (14 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 23 July 1942 as Major and commander of Heeres-Flak-Bataillon 606
- Ärmelband Afrika (12 April 1943)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 123.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.