Grüner (left) in northern France, June 1942
9 August 1915|
|Died||11 March 1944
|Years of service||1936–1944|
|Commands held||I. / Panzer-Regiment 2|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Grüner was killed during the Battle of the Korsun-Cherkasy Pocket. As a result he was posthumously promoted to Major and awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (5 October 1939)
- 1st Class (10 July 1941)
- Wound Badge
- in Black (?)
- Eastern Front Medal
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (29 September 1941)
- German Cross in Gold (18 October 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 171.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 69.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Media related to Georg Grüner (soldier) at Wikimedia Commons
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
|This biographical article related to the German Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|