Georg von Krogh
|Georg von Krogh|
|Fields||Management, Competitive Strategies, Technological Innovation, Knowledge Management|
|Institutions||Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich|
|Known for||Research on Open Source Software, the Private-collective model of innovation, organizational knowledge creation|
Georg von Krogh was born in Oslo, Norway. He is a Professor at ETH Zurich and holds the Chair of Strategic Management and Innovation. He is also a member of the National Research Council of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF), and holds an honorary position as Research Fellow at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge.
Professor von Krogh specializes in competitive strategy, technological innovation, and knowledge management. He has conducted research in several industries including financial services, media, computer software and hardware, life -sciences, and consumer goods. He teaches courses on Entrepreneurial Leadership, Strategic Management, and Innovation Theory and Research. He received his MSc from the Norwegian University of Technology and Natural Science, and a Ph.D. from this University's Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management. He has been Assistant Professor of Business Policy at SDA Bocconi, Bocconi University in Italy, Associate Professor of Strategy at the Norwegian School of Management, and Professor of Management at the University of St.Gallen in Switzerland, and a Director of this University's Institute of Management. He was also the President of the Research Commission at the University of St. Gallen. He has been Visiting Professor at MIT's Sloan School of Management, Hitotsubashi University in Japan, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, and the London School of Economics and Political Science. He was the Head of the Department of Management, Technology, and Economics at ETH Zurich during 2008-2011. From 2008 to 2014 he was a board member of the European Academy of Management (EURAM).
von Krogh has consulted on strategy and trained executives for companies in Asia, Europe, and the USA. He has experience from being a board- or advisory board member of various companies and NGOs, including PricewaterhouseCoopers in Switzerland, Swiss Bank Corporation (UBS), and the SKAT Foundation. He also serves as a member of the Chapter Board at the Swiss-American Chamber of Commerce. He was an academic fellow and faculty member of the World Economic Forum (2002-2007) where he was actively involved in scenario development for industries and economies.
von Krogh is an Editorial Board member of various journals including the Academy of Management Journal, Organization Studies, European Management Review, MIT Sloan Management Review, and Long Range Planning. His awards and recognitions include for example the Association of American Publishers' "Best Professional Business Book Award", Harvard Business Review's "Breakthrough Idea," ETH's Teaching Award "Goldene Eule," European Management Review's "Best Paper Award 2012," and Journal of Strategic Information Systems' "Best Paper Award 2008."
Selected journal articles
- S. Ben-Menahem, G. von Krogh, Z. Erden, A. Schneider (Forthcoming) “Coordinating Knowledge Creation in Multidisciplinary Teams: evidence from Early-stage drug Discovery,” Academy of Management Journal
- S. Spaeth, G. von Krogh and F. He. "Perceived firm attributes and intrinsic motivation in sponsored OSS projects", Information Systems Research 26(1):224-237 2015
- H. Garriga, G. von Krogh, S. Spaeth. "How Constraints and Knowledge Impact Open Innovation", Strategic Management Journal, 34(9), 2013, pp. 1134–1144.
- G. von Krogh, B. Battistini, F. Pachidou, P. Baschera. "The Changing Face of Corporate Venturing in Biotechnology", Nature Biotechnology, 30, 2012, pp. 911–915.
- G. von Krogh, S. Haefliger, S. Spaeth, and M. Wallin. "Carrots and Rainbows: Motivation and Social Practice in Open Source Software Development", MIS Quarterly, 36(2), 2012: 649-676.
- I. Nonaka and G. von Krogh. "Tacit Knowledge and Knowledge Conversion: Controversy and Advancement in Organizational Knowledge Creation Theory" Organization Science, 20 (3), 2009, pp. 635–652.
- T. Maillart, D. Sornette, S. Spaeth, and G. von Krogh. "Empirical Tests of Zipf's Law Mechanism in Open Source Linux Distribution", Physical Review Letters, 101 (21), 2008, pp. 218701–1 - 218701-4.
- S. Haefliger, G. von Krogh, and S. Spaeth. "Code reuse in Open Source Software", Management Science, 54(1), 2008: 180–193.
- G. von Krogh and E. von Hippel "The promise of research on open source software", Management Science, 52(7), 2006: 975–983.
- E. von Hippel and G. von Krogh "Open source software development and the private-collective innovation model: Issues for organization science", Organization Science, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2003: 208–223.
- von Krogh, G. and Roos, J. "A Tale of the Unfinished", Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1996: 729–739.
- von Krogh, G., Roos, J. and Slocum, K.: "An Essay on Corporate Epistemology", Strategic Management Journal, Special Issue on "The Search for a New Strategy Paradigm", Vol. 15, Summer 1994: 53–73.
- Enabling Knowledge Creation with I. Nonaka and K. Ichijo - focuses on how firms can build an organization culture and infrastructure that support product and process innovation
- Strategizing in Emerging Industries with J. Roos - investigates strategies employed by traditional media firms to manage the transition to innovative forms of electronic media
- The Management of Corporate Acquisitions with H. Singh and A. Sinatra - presents research on factors that impact on the performance of merger and acquisition strategies
- Georg von Krogh at ETH Zurich
Ceo Magazine interview on diversity in firms *