Sir George Alleyne (born in St. Philip, Barbados, on 7 October 1932) currently serves as United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean region. He was appointed to the position by UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in February 2003.
George Allenmore O'Garren Alleyne was born in 1932 in St. Philip, Barbados, to a mother who was a homemaker and a father who was an elementary school teacher. He studied medicine at the University of the West Indies (UWI) and graduated as the gold medallist in 1957. Subsequently, he pursued his postgraduate training in internal medicine in the United Kingdom and the United States. In 1972, he became Professor of Medicine at UWI. In 1976, he was appointed Chairman of the Department of Medicine. In October 2003 he was appointed Chancellor of the University of West Indies.
Besides his academic experience, Alleyne also gained much experience in working for international organizations. In February 1995, he became Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO). He served two four-year terms in this position until the end of 2002 and was elected Director Emeritus.
As Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean region, he is responsible for ensuring follow-up to the United Nations General Assembly special session on HIV/AIDS and the Pan-Caribbean Partnership against HIV/AIDS, in the Caribbean region. Occasionally, he also represents the UN Secretary-General at events related to HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean region.
Honours and awards
Alleyne was made a Knight Bachelor by Queen Elizabeth II in 1990, and awarded the Order of the Caribbean Community in 2001. In October 2008 he received the Science of Peace Award from the Inter American Heart Foundation.
- "George Allenmore O'Garren Alleyne", Caribbean Icons in Science, Technology & Innovation", NIHERST.
- "Sir George Alleyne is UWI Chancellor", Jamaica Gleaner, 1 October 2003. Accessed 19 October 2008.
- "Fitting tribute paid to Sir George Alleyne", Jamaica Observer, 6 November 2002. Accessed 19 October 2008.
- "Sir George for Science of Peace lecture and award", Stabroek News, 7 October 2008. Accessed 19 October 2008.
- "Sir George Alleyne". United Nations. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "George Alleyne". Disease Control Priorities Project. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "Gallery of PAHO Directors". Pan-American Health Organisation. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- Sir George Alleyne, Caribbean Community (CARICOM) website