George Barlow (American football)
November 18, 1967 |
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
Hutchinson C. C. (DL)
West Virginia State (DC)
James Madison (RB)
James Madison (DL)
James Madison (DC)
New Mexico (DB)
New Mexico (Interim HC/DC)
N.C. State (CB's)
|Head coaching record|
College Football Data Warehouse
George Barlow (born November 18, 1967) is a college football coach, formerly the interim head coach coach for the University of New Mexico Lobos. He was elevated from defensive coordinator to interim head coach following the firing of Mike Locksley on September 25, 2011. He coached the Lobos for their final eight games in 2011. He was the defensive backs coach and defensive recruiting coordinator at Vanderbilt during the 2012 and 2013 seasons. He is currently the cornerbacks coach at N.C. State.
Barlow played college football at Marshall University from 1986–1990. Playing the safety position, he was part of the 1987 national championship runner-up team. He still shares the team record for the most interceptions in a single game with three against East Tennessee State in 1989.
Following his playing career, Barlow began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Marshall in 1991. In addition to Marshall, he has coached at Hutchinson Community College, West Virginia State, Oklahoma and James Madison, where as defensive coordinator he helped lead the Dukes to the 2004 Division I-AA National Championship and four other playoff appearances, prior to becoming defensive backs coach at New Mexico in 2009. Barlow was named interim head coach at New Mexico following the firing of Mike Locksley on September 25, 2011. During the final eight games of the season, Barlow led the Lobos to one win and seven losses (1–7). On January 13, 2012, Vanderbilt head coach James Franklin announced Barlow had been hired to serve as the Commodores' defensive backs coach.In his two seasons at Vanderbilt, Barlow mentored the team’s defensive backs into one of the SEC’s most productive units, finishing in the Top-25 in both passing defense and passing efficiency defense during his tenure. On January 16, 2014, NC State head coach Dave Doeren announced Barlow had been hired to serve as the Wolfpack's cornerbacks coach.
Head coaching record
|New Mexico Lobos (Mountain West Conference) (2011)|
|#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.
- 2006 Marshall Football Media Guide. Huntington, West Virginia: Marshall Sports Information Office. 2006. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- University of New Mexico Athletics (September 26, 2011). "George Barlow profile". golobos.com. CBS Interactive.
- "New Mexico fires Mike Locksley". ESPN.com. Associated Press. September 26, 2011. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "Vandy adds George Barlow, Josh Gattis to staff". Nashville, Tennessee: WSMV TV. Associated Press. January 13, 2012. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "George Barlow Named Cornerbacks Coach". Raleigh, North Carolina: GoPack.com. NCSU.edu. January 16, 2014. Retrieved January 16, 2014.