George Beresford, 1st Marquess of Waterford
Beresford was the eldest son of Marcus Beresford, 1st Earl of Tyrone and his wife, Katherine, Baroness de la Poer. From 1757 to 1760, he was a Member of the Irish House of Commons for Waterford County from 1757 to 1760, and for Coleraine from 1761 until 1763, when he inherited his father's earldom, entered the Irish House of Lords and was admitted to the Privy Council of Ireland. He was Governor of Waterford from 1766 and custos rotulorum of that county from 1769 to 1800, during which time he was made a Knight of St Patrick, created Baron Tyrone in the Peerage of Great Britain in 1786 and elevated as a marquess in 1789.
On 19 April 1769, he had married Elizabeth Monck (who was the cousin of Charles Monck, 1st Viscount Monck and a maternal granddaughter of Henry Bentinck, 1st Duke of Portland) and they had eight children:
- Marcus, Lord Le Poer (March 1771 – 8 August 1783)
- Henry de la Poer, Earl of Tyrone, later 2nd Marquess of Waterford (1772–1826), politician.
- Most Rev. Lord John George (1773–1862), Archbishop of Armagh
- Lord George Thomas (1781–1839), politician.
- Lady Isabella Anne (28 May 1776 – 7 May 1850), married Sir John Brydges.
- Lady Catharine (11 September 1777 – 23 June 1843)
- Lady Anne (26 July 1779 – 27 November 1842)
- Lady Elizabeth Louisa (2 February 1783 – 6 January 1856), married (1) Sir Denis Pack (2) Sir Thomas Reynell, Bt.
Lord Waterford died in 1800 and his titles passed to his eldest surviving son, Henry.
- "thePeerage.com". Retrieved 2008-12-17.
|Parliament of Ireland|
|Member of Parliament for Waterford County
1757 – 1760
With: Aland Mason 1757–1759
James May 1759–1760
Hon. John Beresford
|Member of Parliament for Coleraine
1761 – 1763
With: Richard Jackson
George Paul Monck
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation||Marquess of Waterford
1789 – 1800
|Baron La Poer
1769 – 1800
|Earl of Tyrone
1763 – 1800
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|New creation||Baron Tyrone
1786 – 1800
|This biography of a marquess in the peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of Great Britain (1707–1800) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Ireland (up to 1800) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|