George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People
|"George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People"|
|Single by The Legendary K.O.|
|Released||September 6, 2005|
|Writer(s)||Big Mon and Damien aka Dem Knock-Out Boyz|
|Producer(s)||Kanye West & Jon Brion|
"George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People" is a protest song by hip-hop duo The Legendary K.O. It was released on September 6, 2005, just days after Hurricane Katrina. The song was made available free on the Internet. The song was a single first made available from FWMJ's Rappers I Know website. It was released using the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 license. It has been described as "vividly topical", and "one of the best political protest songs of all time".
The politically charged song is a response to the Bush administration's heavily criticized response to Hurricane Katrina, and its title comes directly from a statement Kanye West made on US national television.
The song specifically criticized George W. Bush for his slow reaction to the plight of New Orleans. It spread widely over the Internet for several weeks after the catastrophe, in some cases backing video mash-ups with photo montages from the hurricane.
The refrain of the song asserts that "George Bush ain't a gold digger, but he ain't messin with no broke niggas" (a modified version of the line from the original Gold Digger), and implores, "come down, Bush, come on, come down" to New Orleans. Similar themes, including the characterization of black victims of the hurricane as looters, were covered by Public Enemy in a contemporaneous single, "Hell No We Ain't All Right!"
- FWMJ’s Rappers I Know » Blog Archive » Day #24: Myone “Hands Up” featuring Kay, produced by Symbolyc One b/w The Legendary K.O. “George Bush Doesn’t Care About Black People”, produced by Kanye West
- Ourmedia: George Bush Doesn't Like Black People
- Dorian Lynskey, 33 Revolutions Per Minute (2011), p. 530.
- Greg Kot, Ripped: How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music (2009) p. 181.
- Jon Dolan, "The Year In Music", SPIN (Jan. 2006), Vol. 22, No. 1, p. 85.
- Katrina: Kanye remixed, "George Bush Don't Like Black People" - Boing Boing