George Campbell (American football)
|Residence||Tarpon Springs, Florida|
|Occupation||Student-athlete (wide receiver, defensive end, safety)|
|Known for||American football|
|Height||6 ft 4.25 in (1.94 m)|
|Weight||191.5 pounds (86.9 kg)|
George Campbell IV is an American football player who plays at positions of safety, defensive end and wide receiver and who is rated as the second best player by ESPN and as the second best wide receiver by Scout.com in the national high school class of 2015. He completed his junior season at East Lake High School during the 2013-14 school year and has committed to play for Michigan Wolverines football. He has also accepted an invitation to participate in the 2015 Under Armour All-America Game.
Son of Joyce Nix and George Campbell III, George, at the age of 5 and after his father's imprisonment, developed a close bond with his uncle Ahmad Jackson. Nix is a certified nurse.
Before his freshman season, he nearly attended Clearwater Central Catholic High School, but decided to attend his zoned school, East Lake High School in Tarpon Springs, Florida. As a freshman he played varsity football for East Lake, but mostly on defense. He had 1 reception for a 26 yard touchdown, 2 interceptions and 81 tackles, including 2 forced fumbles. That season East Lake compiled a 9–4 record before losing in the 2011 Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) Class 8A region final in overtime to Plant High School on December 2, 2011. Plant had won state championships in 2006, 2008 and 2009. Plant went on to become state champion that year, marking four consecutive years it had reached a championship game. Campbell accumulated statistics in 12 of the 13 games (not the November 4 game at Palm Harbor University High School). He was named a MaxPreps 2011 U.S. Air Force Freshman All-American first team selection at linebacker, although his true position was safety. He was not selected to the Tampa Bay Times 2011 All-Suncoast Region Football team for Hernando, Pasco, Hillsborough and Pinellas counties or even the Times 2011 All-Pinellas County football team.
In 2012, East Lake improved to 11–2, but again lost in the FHSAA Class 8A region final, this time to Dr. Phillips High School on November 30 by a 31–21 margin. In the first game of the season, when starter Artavis Scott injured his ankle, Campbell stepped in at wide receiver. Later in the season, when the team struggled to get pressure on the quarterback, Campbell moved from safety to defensive end. As a sophomore, his tackle total declined to 56, but his 764 receiving yards earned him 27 major Division I scholarship offers. His offers included Arkansas, Auburn, Boston College, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Louisville, Miami (FL), Mississippi, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, South Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCF, UCLA, Vanderbilt, West Virginia. East Lake junior offensive lineman Mason Cole committed to Michigan's class of 2014 on February 25, which was one day before Cole was invited to participate in the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. That year Campbell played basketball and ran track for East Lake before having surgery on his left wrist on April 19. The following summer, he ran a 4.36 second 40 yard dash. His 4.36 time was on artificial turf, while he was timed a 4.37 on grass on the same day. He was also measured at 37 inches (94.0 cm) in his vertical leap. He was a second team All-Suncoast region and first team All-Pinellas County team selection.
Prior to his junior season, he verbally committed to the University of Michigan where he will play for Michigan Wolverines football as a freshman for the 2015 team via Twitter. At the time, he still attended East Lake High School, where he was about to play his junior year for the 2013 football team. At the time of his July 27, 2013 verbal commitment, he was ranked as the number one athlete and number three player in the class of 2015 by ESPN. When Scout.com released its first list of 5-star rated football players on August 12, 2013, Campbell was included among the 20 players listed and the only wide receiver included. At the end of that summer prior to his junior year football season, he was one of two juniors selected to the 2013 USA Today preseason All-USA team. He accepted an invitation to participate in the 2015 Under Armour All-America Game game in St. Petersburg before the end of October 2013. The November 15 FHSAA Class 7A region quarterfinal that East Lake won 13–12 ended with an alleged punch by a Palmetto High School coach that left Campbell with a cut inside his mouth. Other players were involved in the altercation, which is being investigated by the FHSAA. On November 19, 2013, ESPN moved Campbell up to the number two overall position in the class of 2015. This moved him ahead of Kevin Toliver II, but he remained behind Jashon Cornell. In Campbell's third time in the FHSAA, East Lake finally got past the regional finals (defeating Port Charlotte High School), only to lose the following week on December 6, 2013, in the state semifinals in overtime to Dwyer High School 31–24, despite a 65-yard touchdown reception by Campbell.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Tarpon Springs, Florida||East Lake (FL)||6 ft 4.25 in (1.94 m)||191.5 lb (86.9 kg)||4.36|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 89|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 16, 2 (WR) Rivals: TBA ESPN: 2, 1 (ATH)|
- Putnam, Bob (2013-10-24). "Family's unwavering support fuels East Lake's Campbell". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "George Campbell's Football Stats". MaxPreps. Retrieved 201-11-21.
- "Football: 2012-13 Championship Records". FHSAA.org. p. 6. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "East Lake High School". TampaBay.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Football: Plant 28, East Lake 21 (OT, with video)". TampaBay.com. 2011-12-03. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Encina, Eduardo A. (2011-12-17). "Class 8A state football final: Plant 31, Miramar 20". TampaBay.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Cotey, John C. (2012-01-02). "Three local players named freshman All-Americans". TampaBay.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Spiewak, Stephen (2012-01-06). "MaxPreps 2011 U.S. Air Force Freshman All-American Football Teams". MaxPreps. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Page, Rodney (2012-11-28). "East Lake sophomore Campbell moves from position to position with ease". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Times' 2011 all-Suncoast football team". TampaBay.com. 2011-12-26. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Times' 2011 all-Pinellas County football team". TampaBay.com. 2011-12-23. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Region football: Orlando Dr. Phillips 31, East Lake 21". TampaBay.com. 2012-12-01. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "George Campbell". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- "#11 George Campbell". Scout.com. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- "George Campbell". Rivals.com. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- Putnam, Bob (2013-02-25). "East Lake's Mason Cole picks Michigan". TampaBay.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Putnam, Bob (2013-02-26). "East Lake's Mason Cole, Artavis Scott to play in Army All-American game". TampaBay.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Putnam, Bob (2013-04-08). "East Lake's George Campbell to miss spring with broken wrist". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Sims, Alex (2013-07-01). "The Opening 2013: Top 10 40-Yard Dash Times from the Sparq National Championship". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- 2013-11-21 (2013-07-12). "Michigan hopes to make WR recruit George Campbell its 'Mayor'". Detroit News.
- "Times' all-Pinellas football team". TampaBay.com. 2012-12-22. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Times' all-Suncoast football". TampaBay.com. 2012-12-24. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Grant, Ethan (2013-07-27). "George Campbell to Michigan: Wolverines Land 5-Star 2015 WR Prospect". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- VanHaaren, Tom (2013-07-29). "Michigan lands George Campbell". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Michigan lands top athlete of 2015 class". ESPN. 2013-07-27. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Meinke, Kyle (2013-07-27). "Major commitment: George Campbell, No. 1 WR for 2015, pledges to Michigan". MLive.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Baumgardner, Nick (2013-08-12). "2015 Michigan WR commit George Campbell given 5-star status by Scout.com". MLive.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "2013 Preseason American Family Insurance ALL-USA High School Football Team". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Putnam, Bob (2013-11-18). "FHSAA to investigate postgame brawl at East Lake game". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Luginbill, Tom and Craig Haubert (2013-11-19). "Breaking down the ESPN Junior 300: New names at the top and a few under-the-radar players make moves". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Sharp, Darek (2013-11-30). "Football: East Lake 49, Port Charlotte 15". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Maffezzoli, Dennis (2013-11-29). "East Lake pounds Pirates, 49-15 in 7A-3 final". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Putnam, Bob (2013-12-07). "Football: Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer 31, East Lake 24 (OT)". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Horchy, Eric (2013-12-07). "Football: Late East Lake rally falls short". Suncoast News. Retrieved 2013-12-07.