|George Law Cawkwell|
Map of Philip of Macedon's campaign in Greece, 339 BC (based on George Cawkwell, Philip of Macedon, Faber & Faber, 1978).
|Born||25 October 1919
Auckland, New Zealand
|Education||King's College, Auckland|
|Alma mater||University of Auckland|
|Years active||1949 – present|
|Employer||University College, Oxford|
|Organization||University of Oxford|
|Known for||History of Greece in the 4th century BC|
|Notable work(s)||Philip of Macedon (1978)
Thucydides and the Peloponnesian War (1997)
The Greek Wars: The Failure of Persia (2005)
|Spouse(s)||Pat Clarke (1945)|
|Children||Simon Cawkwell (1946)|
|Awards||Runciman Award (1998)|
George Cawkwell was educated at King's College, Auckland in New Zealand and became head boy there. He attended the University of Auckland from 1938, gaining BA and MA degrees. He joined the army in 1942 during World War II and fought with the Fijian Infantry in the Solomons in 1944.
For most of his life, Cawkwell was a Fellow and Praelector in Ancient History of University College, Oxford. He was a Fellow from 1949 to 1987 and then became an Emeritus Fellow. He authored a number of books on ancient history. His students included the classical scholars Ernst Badian and Raphael Sealey. He won the Runciman Award in 1998 for his book Thucydides and the Peloponnesian War.
Cawkwell was the first "Procurator" of University College, fund-raising for the 750th anniversary of the college in 1999. The George Cawkwell Fellowship in Ancient History has been established at the college. A boat in the University College Boat Club is also named after him. His portrait was painted by the artist Daphne Todd.
Cawkwell's books include:
- Philip of Macedon. Faber and Faber, 1978. ISBN 0571109586.
- Thucydides and the Peloponnesian War. Routledge, 1997. ISBN 0415165520.
- The Greek Wars: The Failure of Persia. Oxford University Press, 2005. ISBN 0-19-814871-2.
- "George Cawkwell". Penguin Classics. Penguin Books, UK. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Hornblower, Simon (January 1991). "George Cawkwell's contribution to Ancient History and to Oxford". Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies 37 (558): 1–12. doi:10.1111/j.2041-5370.1991.tb02201.x.
- "Fellows: George Cawkwell". University College Record: 7–9. 1987.
- Darwall-Smith, Robin (2008). A History of University College, Oxford. Oxford University Press. pp. 479, 494, 499, 508, 510, 522, 523, 524. ISBN 978-0-19-928429-0.
- "Books " "George Cawkwell"". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Todd, Daphne. "Bill Sykes, Peter Strawson, George Cawkwell and Hartmut Pogge von Strandmann". Your Paintings. UK: BBC. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Hagedorn, Anselm C. (31 October 2005). "Review: George Cawkwell, The Greek Wars. The Failure of Persia.". Bryn Mawr Classical Review. Bryn Mawr College. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to the University of Oxford is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|