George F. Walker
|George F. Walker|
August 23, 1947 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
George F. Walker (born August 23, 1947) is a Canadian playwright and screenwriter. He is one of Canada's most prolific playwrights, and also one of the most widely produced Canadian dramatists both in Canada and internationally.
Walker was born in Toronto, Ontario on August 23, 1947 to Florence and Malcolm Walker. He was raised in the east end of Toronto, which was considered a working-class neighbourhood. This neighbourhood is what made him loyal to the city lifestyle, which is shown in his work later on in life.
He attended Riverdale Collegiate but did not graduate from high school. After he dropped out of high school he worked a variety of different jobs, and while doing these jobs he had been writing many stories and poems. When working at a job as a taxi driver he saw a pamphlet from the Factory Theatre Lab inviting scripts to be submitted.
Walker has written over 30 stage scripts and has also written many television shows, radio shows, and also some movies. Some of the television shows that he had written for were Due South, The Newsroom, This is Wonderland, The Line and Living in Your Car, and the film Niagara Motel. Most of his screen projects are cowritten with Dani Romain.
Walker was first known for his playwriting. In 1997, he published a cycle of six new plays, all of which took place in the same suburban motel room. He wrote plays for most of his career but since 2000 he has worked more in television and film.
In 2006, he was made a Member of the Order of Canada. In 2009, he received the Governor General's Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Artistic Achievement.
- Prince of Naples (1971)
- Ambush at Tether's End (1971)
- Sacktown Rag (1972)
- Bagdad Saloon (1973)
- Beyond Mozambique (1974)
- Ramona and the Whilte Slaves (1976)
- Gossip (1977)
- Zastrozzi, The Master of Discipline (1977)
- Filthy Rich (1979)
- Rumors of Our Death (1980)
- Theatre of the Film Noir (1981)
- Science and Madness (1982)
- The Art of War (1983)
- Criminals in Love (1984)
- Better Living (1986)
- Beautiful City (1987)
- Nothing Sacred (1988)
- Love and Anger (1989)
- Escape from Happiness (1991)
- Tough! (1993)
- Suburban Motel (1997): Problem Child, Criminal Genius, Risk Everything, Adult Entertainment, Featuring Loretta, The End of Civilization
- Heaven (2000)
- And So It Goes... (2010)
- King of Thieves (2010)
- Dead Metaphor (2013)
- The Burden of Self Awareness (2014)
- The Ravine (2014)
- Parents Night (2014)
Works about George F. Walker
- Chris Johnson, Essays on George F. Walker: Playing with Anxiety. Winnipeg: Blizzard Publishing Inc., 1999
- Craig Walker, "George F. Walker: Postmodern City Comedy," The Buried Astrolabe: Canadian Dramatic Imagination and Western Tradition. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- "volume 1". contemporary canadian authors. 444 front st. west toronto: gale canada. 1996.
- "volume 60:canadian writers since 1960 second series". dictionary of literary biography. 835 pendoscot building detroit: gale research. 1987.
- "Craig Walker"
- http://this.org/magazine/2010/08/16/george-f-walker-hbo-canada/.html "Emily Landau"
- Lane, H. (2006), George F. Walker, toronto, ontario: playwrights canada press
- "Paul Gross, Robert Lepage, awarded performing arts Governor General's awards". Vancouver Sun (Canwest). March 2, 2009. Retrieved 10 December 2009.[dead link]
- George F. Walker at the Internet Movie Database
- NFB vignette Capturing George, produced for the 2009 Governor General's Performing Arts Awards.
- George F. Walker entry in The Canadian Encyclopedia