||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Born||George Cooper Grizzard, Jr.
April 1, 1928
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, U.S.
|Died||October 2, 2007
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
Life and career 
Grizzard memorably appeared as an unscrupulous United States senator in the film Advise and Consent in 1962. His other theatrical films included the drama From the Terrace with Paul Newman (1960), the Western story Comes a Horseman with Jane Fonda (1978) and a Neil Simon comedy, Seems Like Old Times.
In more recent years, he guest-starred several times on the NBC television drama Law & Order as defense attorney Arthur Gold. He also portrayed President John Adams in the Emmy Award-winning WNET-produced PBS mini-series The Adams Chronicles.
Grizzard made his Broadway debut in The Desperate Hours in 1955. He was a frequent interpreter of the plays of Edward Albee, having appeared in the original 1962 production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? as Nick, as well as the 1996 revival of A Delicate Balance and the 2005 revival of Seascape. He also starred in You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running.
In 1980 he won an Emmy for his work in The Oldest Living Graduate. He starred as reporter Richard Larsen in The Deliberate Stranger, a television movie about serial killer Ted Bundy. He won the 1996 Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play for A Delicate Balance. Additional Broadway credits include The Creation of the World and Other Business, The Glass Menagerie, The Country Girl, The Royal Family, and California Suite.
He would also appear in The Golden Girls as George Devereaux, the late husband of Blanche Devereaux; as well as Jamie Devereaux, George's brother.
In 2001, Grizzard played Judge Dan Haywood in a stage production of Judgment at Nuremberg opposite Maximilian Schell under the production of actor Tony Randall. Grizzard appeared as Big Daddy in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof at the Kennedy Center in 2004.
Selected Filmography 
- Justice (1954) (TV)
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1956–1962) (TV)
- The Twilight Zone (1960–1963) (TV)
- From the Terrace (1960)
- Thriller (1960) (TV)
- Advise and Consent (1962)
- Ben Casey (1963) (TV)
- Dr. Kildare (1964) (TV)
- Happy Birthday, Wanda June (1970) (Play)
- Happy Birthday, Wanda June (1971) (Film)
- The Adams Chronicles (1976) (TV)
- Hawaii 5-0 (1978) (TV)
- Comes a Horseman (1978)
- The Oldest Living Graduate (1980) (TV)
- Seems Like Old Times (1980)
- Wrong is Right (1982)
- Trapper John M.D. (1984) (TV)
- Bachelor Party (1984)
- Spencer: For Hire (1985) (TV)
- The Cosby Show (1985) (TV)
- The Deliberate Stranger (1986) (TV)
- Murder, She Wrote (1985–1988) (TV)
- The Golden Girls (1988–1990) (TV)
- Alex Haley's Queen (1993) (TV)
- Scarlett: Sequel to Margret Mitchells Gone With The Wind (1994) (TV)
- 3rd Rock from the Sun (1997–1998) (TV)
- Small Time Crooks (2000)
- Wonder Boys (2000)
- Law & Order (1992–2000) (TV)
- Flags of our Fathers (2006)
- Robert Berkvist (3 October 2007). "George Grizzard, Actor Noted for Albee Roles, Dies at 79". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- George Grizzard at the Internet Broadway Database
- George Grizzard at the Internet Movie Database
- George Grizzard at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- George Grizzard at Find a Grave