George Herbert Walker IV
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
George Herbert Walker IV (born April 1969) is the chairman and CEO of Neuberger Berman, one of the largest private, independent, employee-controlled investment management firms. During Walker's tenure, the firm survived the implosion of its corporate parent, Lehman Brothers, was repurchased by the employees, and has been amongst the best performers in the industry. Its growth has been most significant in global equity and fixed income strategies, alternative investments and amongst the largest institutional investors. Its community service programs, NB Impacts, have also been a hallmark.
The firm’s broad capabilities have enabled it to win numerous public strategic partnership mandates, most notably from Teacher Retirement System of Texas and the National Social Security Fund of China. Neuberger Berman was also named by Pensions & Investments a Best Place to Work in Money Management in both 2013 and 2014.
Walker comes from a successful family of industrialists and financiers, originally from St. Louis, Missouri. Walker's great-grandfather, George Herbert Walker, was the founder of G. H. Walker & Co., a securities firm, which eventually became part of Merrill Lynch. An avid golfer, he was also the namesake of amateur golf's Walker Cup. His grandfather, George Herbert Walker, Jr., was a co-founder of the NY Mets and his father, George Herbert Walker III, was U. S. ambassador to Hungary. Walker was raised in St. Louis, Missouri and has a younger sister, Carter. Walker's grand-aunt, Dorothy, married Senator Prescott Bush, father of U.S. President George Herbert Walker Bush and grandfather of U.S. President George Walker Bush. He is thus a second cousin of former President George W. Bush.
He is married to the former Nancy Dorn.
Walker went to the University of Pennsylvania where he received the Harry S. Truman Scholarship and was a Benjamin Franklin Scholar, graduated Phi Beta Kappa and received a dual degree- a B.S. and a B.A., both summa cum laude. He also received his MBA as a Palmer Scholar from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania after completing the 5 year MBA program. He was a member of the St. Anthony Hall fraternity.
Walker began his career on Wall Street when he joined Goldman Sachs in the Merger Department in 1992 and six years later, in 1998, became of one of the firm's youngest partners ever. He held several senior positions at Goldman, including co-head of the firm's Wealth Management business, and head of Alternative Investment Strategies. Walker was recruited to rival investment bank, Lehman Brothers, to head its Investment Management Division, of which Neuberger was a part. Following Lehman's bankruptcy and the announcement of the sale of Neuberger, Walker assumed his present position.
- New York Times Dealbook: A Chief Delivers Neuberger Berman From the Shadow of Lehman
- Pensions & Investments: Neuberger Berman employees put a bow on buyback
- Neuberger Berman Commemorates Firm's 75th Anniversary With Annual "Celebration with Service"
- Company Overview of The Neuberger Berman Foundation
- THE NEUBERGER BERMAN FOUNDATION | GuideStar
- Neuberger Berman Lung Cancer Research Center | Weill Cornell Medical College
- Summer of serving one’s community | The Queens Chronicle
- Neuberger Berman Begins Annual “Celebration with Service” Community Service Events
- Neuberger Berman employees help spruce up community | Pensions & Investments
- How the Y's partnership with the Neuberger Berman Foundation is helping change lives | YM & YWHA
- Berman Gives Back to Homes For Heroes Veterans | Nyack-Piermont Patch
- Neuberger Berman | Per Scholas
- “Everything speaks” or, C-CAP Alumni Get Coached by the Marketing Masters
- DYCD and NYC Service Conclude the 3rd Annual Summer of Service Initiative | NYC Department of Youth & Community Development
- NYC SERVICE INITIATIVES SUMMER OF SERVICE | NYC Service
- Partners We Work With | Habitat for Humanity
- Institutional Investor: Neuberger Berman Rises From the Ashes
- Pensions & Investments Best Places to Work 2013
- Pensions & Investments Best Places to Work 2014
- "Meet our 1989 Truman Scholars". Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- "Lessons in Leadership: George Walker C '91, WH '91, WG '92". University of Pennsylvania. Archived from the original on 2008-05-18. Retrieved 18 May 2008.
- "Neubarger To Be Acquired By Bain Capital And Hellman & Friedman" (PDF). Neubarger Berman. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-20.
- "Lehman Brothers' presidential connections". CNN Money. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|