George Hilton (historian)
January 18, 1925|
|Died||August 4, 2014
|Field||Historian and economist|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago|
George Woodman Hilton (January 18, 1925 – August 4, 2014) was a United States historian and economist, who specialized in social history, transportation economics, regulation by commission, the history of economic thought and labor history.
Early life and education
Born in Chicago, Hilton attended Dartmouth College and earned his A.B. in Economics summa cum laude in 1946. He obtained his M.A. in 1950. Hilton attended the London School of Economics in 1953-1955, and obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1956.
- Hilton, G. W. (April 1958). "The truck act of 1831". The Economic History Review 10 (3): 470–479. doi:10.1111/j.1468-0289.1958.tb00020.x.
- Hilton, G. W. (1959), "The theory of tax incidence applied to the gains of labor unions", in Abramovitz, Moses; et al, The allocation of economic resources: essays in honor of Bernard Francis Haley, Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, OCLC 490147128. ISBN 9780804705684.
- Hilton, G. W. (1960) The truck system including a history of the British truck acts 1465-1960
- Hilton, G. W. (1962) The Great Lakes car ferries (Howell-North, Berkeley, California)
- Hilton, G. W.; Due, John F. (1964) The electric interurban railways in America
Hilton, G. W. (1967) "Rail transit and the pattern of cities: the California case"], Traffic Quarterly, vol. 3, (1967).
- Hilton, G. W. (1971) The cable car in America (Revised edition in 1982)
- Hilton, G. W. (1974) Federal Transit Subsidies: The Urban Mass Transportation Assistance Program. (AEI) * Hilton, G. W. (1975) The Northeast railroad problem (AEI) Pdf.
- Hilton, G. W. (1976) The illustrated history of paddle steamers
- Hilton, G. W. (1976) "What did we give wp with the big red cars?" (article)
- Hilton, G. W. (1980) Amtrak: The National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AEI) Pdf.
- Hilton, G. W. (1981) The Ma and Pa
- Hilton, George W. (1997) . American narrow gauge railroads. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press. ISBN 0-8047-1731-1.
- Hilton, G. W. (1995) The annotated baseball stories of Ring W. Lardner, 1914-1919
- Hilton, G. W. (1995) Eastland: legacy of the Titanic
- Hilton, G. W. (2002) Lake Michigan passenger steamers (Stanford University Press)
- Lester, David C. (7 August 2014). "Transportation historian George W. Hilton dies". Trains (Kalmbach Publishing).
- Simmons-Boardman (1971). Who's who in railroading and rail transit. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation. p. 188. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- faculty page at UCLA Retrieved November 9, 2013.
- Rasmussen, Frederick N.; Baltimore, Sun (13 August 2014). "George W. Hilton, professor and author of history of ‘Ma & Pa’ railroad, dies at 89". The Washington Post (Nash Holdings LLC). Retrieved 3 November 2014.