||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
Irish is a graduate of the University of the West Indies, and the first recipient of that institution's Ph.D. degree in Spanish. He has taught at UWI, where he headed the Department of Spanish, in the Dominican Republic at the Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo (UASD), and in the United States at the City University of New York (CUNY) where he is Professor of Caribbean and Latin American Studies.
Irish also heads the Caribbean Research Center and the Office of International Programs at Medgar Evers College in Brooklyn, New York (part of CUNY). He is Editor-in-Chief and founder of the Center's refereed Journal of Caribbean studies, Wadabagei, and President of the Caribbean Diaspora Press Inc in New York.
He is co-founder and Chancellor of the Universidad Popular de Desarrollo Sostenible de Las Americas (UNIPOP) and founding Board member of the International Center for Sustainable Development (CIDES) in Panama.
He has authored/edited twenty three books including:
- Visions of Liberation in the Caribbean, 1992 (ISBN 978-9768039064)
- Life in a Colonial Crucible, 1991
- Growth of a Revolutionary Consciousness, 1990
- Evolution of a Global and Diasporic Vision
- Discourses from Alliouagana and the Diaspora
- Skinner, Jonathan. Before the volcano: reverberations of identity on Montserrat, (2004) (ISBN 978-9768189219)
- McAllister, Jared (16 June 1996). GROUPS PUSH TO AID NEEDY IN MONTSERRAT, Daily News (New York), Retrieved December 7, 2010 ("George Irish, director of the Caribbean Research Center and pastor of the Emmanuel Church...")
- McKenna, Sheila (24 December 1994). NEW YORK NEWSDAY BROOKLYN PROFILE George Irish, New York Newsday, Retrieved December 7, 2010
- The Centers at MEC Caribbean Research Center, Retrieved December 7, 2010 (listing Irish as executive director)
- Wadabagei: City University Window On the Caribbean and Its Diaspora, CUNY Matters (Summer 2001), retrieved December 7, 2010
|This Montserrat biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|