George Johnson (writer)
January 20, 1952 |
|Education||M.A. in Journalism and Public Affairs, American University (1979)
B.A. in Journalism with a minor in English, University of New Mexico (1975)
|Occupation||Science writer, journalist|
|Notable credit(s)||Writer for The New York Times; author of several books|
|Relatives||Dr. J.E. Johnson (father) & Dorris Matthews Johnson (mother)|
George Johnson (born January 20, 1952) is an American journalist and science writer. He is the author of a number of books, including The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments (2008) and Strange Beauty: Murray Gell-Mann and the Revolution in 20th-Century Physics (1999), and writes for a number of publications, including The New York Times.
He is one of the co-hosts (with science writer John Horgan) of "Science Saturday", a weekly discussion on the website Bloggingheads.tv, related to topics in science. Several prominent scientists, philosophers, and bloggers have been interviewed for the site.
On Thursday, May 7, 2008, Johnson appeared on the Stephen Colbert show to promote his new book, entitled "The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments". During his appearance, Johnson convinced Colbert to touch the spark produced by one of the electricity experiments. Colbert shocked his hand yelling obscenities that were bleeped out but appeared to be fine after the incident.
- The Cancer Chronicles: Unlocking Medicine's Deepest Mystery. Knopf, 2013.
- The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments. Knopf, 2008.
- Miss Leavitt's Stars: The Untold Story of the Woman Who Discovered How to Measure the Universe. James Atlas Books/Norton, 2005.
- A Shortcut Through Time: The Path to the Quantum Computer. Knopf, 2003.
- Strange Beauty: Murray Gell-Mann and the Revolution in 20th-Century Physics. Knopf, 1999. Vintage paperback, 2000.
- Fire in the Mind: Science, Faith, and the Search for Order. Knopf, 1995. Vintage paperback, 1996.
- In the Palaces of Memory: How We Build the Worlds Inside Our Heads. Knopf, 1991. Vintage paperback, 1992.
- Machinery of the Mind: Inside the New Science of Artificial Intelligence. Times Books, 1986. Tempus / Microsoft paperback, 1987.
- Architects of Fear: Conspiracy Theories and Paranoia in American Politics. Tarcher/Houghton Mifflin, 1984.
- George Johnson's home page
- Interviews/Discussions on Bloggingheads.tv
- New York Times author index page