George Lemuel Woods
|George Lemuel Woods|
|9th Governor of Utah Territory|
|Preceded by||Vernon H. Vaughan|
|Succeeded by||Samuel Beach Axtell|
|3rd Governor of Oregon|
September 12, 1866 – September 14, 1870
|Preceded by||A. C. Gibbs|
|Succeeded by||La Fayette Grover|
July 30, 1832|
Boone County, Missouri
|Died||January 7, 1890
|Spouse(s)||Louisa A. McBride|
George Lemuel Woods (July 30, 1832 – January 7, 1890) was an American lawyer, judge, and politician. A member of the Republican Party, Woods served as the third Governor of Oregon from 1866–1870 and was then appointed Utah Territory Governor by President Ulysses S. Grant, serving from 1871–1875.
Early life 
George Woods was born July 30, 1832 in Boone County, Missouri. In 1847, his parents Caleb Woods and the former Margaret McBride moved to Oregon Country with the 15 year-old George. In Oregon, the family settled in Yamhill County where George was educated in the public schools before attending McMinnville College. In 1853, George was married to Louisa A. McBride, and the couple would have two sons. After college he worked on the family farm and studied law, passing the bar in 1858 and setting up a private practice.
In 1857, Woods organized Republican clubs in the state and was a noted speaker of the party. In 1863, he became a judge of Wasco County. In 1865 he was appointed to serve on the Idaho Territory’s Supreme Court. In 1866, Woods was elected as the third Governor of the state of Oregon. His term began on September 12, 1866 and continued until September 14, 1870. Woods failed to win renomination and was then appointed by President Grant as the Governor of Utah Territory in 1871. Woods was critical of Mormon leader Brigham Young, and was not reappointed in 1875 at the end of his first term.
Later life 
After leaving the Utah governorship Woods moved to California where he remained for ten years. He then returned to Oregon in 1885 where he died on January 7, 1890, and was interred on January 12. Woods was buried at River View Cemetery in Portland, Oregon.
- Horner, John B. (1921). Oregon: Her History, Her Great Men, Her Literature. The J.K. Gill Co.: Portland. p. 125, 153–4, 176
- Corning, Howard M. Dictionary of Oregon History. Binfords & Mort Publishing, 1956.
- Political Graveyard: River View Cemetery
- Oregon Blue Book: Oregon Governors
- "George Lemuel Woods". Utah.gov "History to Go". Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Hal Schindler (1996-01-07). "The Territorial Governors". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Utah History Encyclopedia
- Governor George L. Woods' Administration from the Oregon State Archives
- Oregon State Library: George Lemuel Woods
A. C. Gibbs
|Governor of Oregon
La Fayette Grover
Vernon H. Vaughan
|Governor of Utah Territory
Samuel Beach Axtell