George MacKay (actor)
MacKay at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
13 March 1992 |
London, England, UK
George MacKay (born 13 March 1992) is an English actor.
Life and career
MacKay was born in London. At the age of 5 he produced, directed and created his own production of the play Peter and the Wolf with his friends playing the characters, and himself in the lead role of the Wolf so that he could swing from trees.
In 2002, MacKay was spotted whilst at the Harrodian School by an acting scout, who asked him if he would like to audition for a role in P.J. Hogan's 2003 film adaptation of Peter Pan. He attended a workshop, and won the part of one of the Lost Boys, Curly, in what was his big break. In 2005, at the age of 13, he won the role of Riccio in The Thief Lord, the film adaptation of Cornelia Funke's best-selling children's novel. He was also cast in the lead role in Johnny and the Bomb, a BBC three-part television drama adapted from Terry Pratchett's novel of the same name. He later applied unsuccessfully to both RADA and LAMDA.
In the 2008 film Defiance MacKay played Aron, the youngest of the four Bielski brothers, and in 2009 he played Harry in The Boys Are Back starring Clive Owen. He co-starred in the Marc Evans-directed musical film Hunky Dory opposite Minnie Driver, Aneurin Barnard and Kimberley Nixon, which is set in 1970s Swansea.
In 2012 he played the main character, Private Tommo Peaceful, in the film Private Peaceful.
In 2013 MacKay played Edmond in How I Live Now opposite Saoirse Ronan and directed by Kevin Macdonald, and starred as Davy in the musical film Sunshine on Leith, featuring songs by The Proclaimers, directed by Dexter Fletcher.
- Peter Pan (2003) as Curly
- Rose and Maloney as Young Calum (1 episode, 2004)
- Footprints in the Snow (2005) (TV) as Nathan Hill
- The Thief Lord (2006) as Riccio
- Johnny and the Bomb (2006) (TV) as Johnny Maxwell
- Tsunami: The Aftermath (2006) (TV) as Adam Peabody
- The Old Curiosity Shop (2007) (TV) as Kit Nubbles
- Defiance (2008) as Aron Bielski
- The Boys Are Back (2009) as Harry
- Hunky Dory (2011) as Jake Zeppi
- Birdsong (2012) (TV) as Private Douglas
- The Best of Men (2012) (TV) as Private William Heath
- Private Peaceful (2012) as Private Tommo Peaceful
- How I Live Now (2013) as Eddie
- Sunshine on Leith (2013) as Davy
- For those in Peril (2013) as Aaron, Scottish BAFTA winner Best Actor 2013
- Breakfast With Jonny Wilkinson (2013) as Jake
- Pride (2014)