|Born||2 April 1938
Kattur, Thrissur, Kerala
|Known for||Thomapedia, Saint Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India|
George Menachery is a professor, anthropologist, indologist, historian of Syro Malabar Church and history of Kerala. He is the editor the of the St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India and the Indian Church History Classics. Menachery is also the recipient of the 'Order of Saint Gregory the Great', known as the title of "Chevalier".
Menachery was born on April 2, 1938 in Kattur, Thrissur, Kerala. He started his career as teacher and retired as Post Graduate Professor and Head of the Department of English from the St. Thomas College, Thrissur. He is also a visiting professor of Christian Art at the Pontifical Theology Institute, Alwaye.
He won a number of awards including the Mar Thoma Puraskaram (Changanassery), KCBC Tathvika Vaignanika Award (Kochi), P. Thomas History Award, Nedumkunnam History Award, First Syro Malabar Church Award (LRC), Darshana Award...
Menachery was a member of the Senate of the Calicut University, Chief Ed. of Malayalam Literary Survey, executive committee member of the Kerala Sahitya Academy, member of the Kerala Govt. Archaeology Advisory Board, ....and is at present Chairman of the Board of Studies, PG Dept. of Cultural Heritage Studies, Malayalam University. Has spent time in research in museums and libraries and monuments of 25 countries during lecture tours lasting many weeks and months at a time.
Menachery has published many books, scores of learned papers and hundreds of articles in various historical journals and periodicals in addition to scripting, researching, or directing television documentaries/serials and delivering many radio talks. His major works are the following:
- India's Christian Heritage (ed. with Snaitang)" Church History Association of India (2011,2012);
- Christian Contribution to Nation Building: a Third Millennium Enquiry(ed. with Ponnumuthan and Aerath)" Documentary Committee of CBCI-KCBC National Celebration of the Jubilee of St. Thomas and St. Francis Xavier, 2004"
- The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India (ed.) (Vol.II 1973, Vol.I 1982, Vol.III 2010);
- The Indian Church History Classics - Vol. I The Nazranies (1998);
- The Indian Christian Directory ICD - Deepika Kottayam 2006, (Ed. in Charge) 
- Thomapedia, (2000);
- Glimpses of Nazraney Heritage, (2005);
- Pallikkalakalum Mattum (Malayalam)(1984)
- First volume of Saint Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India (1973)
- Second volume of Saint Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India (1982)
- Third volume of Saint Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India (2009)
- "Businesses held by diminishing races in a crisis to stay afloat". Economic Times. 30 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "Playwright, church historian get Catholic honour". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 8 March 2008. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "A scholarly tome on Christianity in India". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 3 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- (ISBN 818713206X, Lib. Cong. Cat. Card. No. 73-905568 )
- (ISBN 81-87133-04-X, Lib. Cong. Cat. Card. No.98-908360 BX4714.120 )
- Prof. George Menachery