George P. L. Walker
|George P. L. Walker|
|Born||2 March 1926|
|Died||17 January 2005|
|Institutions||Imperial College, London (1951-78),
University of Hawai'i (1979-96)
|Alma mater||Queen's University, Belfast,
University of Leeds
|Doctoral students||Robert Stephen John Sparks|
|Influenced||Bruce F. Houghton|
He worked on the volcanic rocks of Iceland and on Mount Etna. He taught at Imperial College. In 1978, he was Captain James Cook Research Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand at the University of Auckland, In 1981, he was Macdonald Chair in Volcanology at the University of Hawaii.
He was married to a woman named Hazel and had a daughter, Alison, and a son, Leonard.
- Honorary D.Sc. from the University of New Zealand in 1988.
- Dr. scient. hon. c. from the University of Iceland in 1988.
- Icelandic Order of the Falcon, conferred by the president of Iceland in 1977.
- Lyell Medal of the Geological Society of London in 1982.
- UH Board of Regents Award for Excellence in Research in 1985.
- Thorarinsson Medal (IAVCEI) in 1989.
- Wollaston Medal (Geological Society of London) in 1995.
- Walker, George P. L. (Sep 1960). "Zeolite Zones and Dike Distribution in Relation to the Structure of the Basalts of Eastern Iceland". The Journal of Geology 68 (5): 515–528. Bibcode:1960JG.....68..515W. doi:10.1086/626685. JSTOR 30059352.
- Walker, George P. L. (July 1973). "Explosive volcanic eruptions — a new classification scheme". Geologische Rundschau 62 (2): 431–446. Bibcode:1973GeoRu..62..431W. doi:10.1007/BF01840108.
- Walker, George P.L. (September 1983). "Ignimbrite types and ignimbrite problems". Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 17 (1-4): 65–88. Bibcode:1983JVGR...17...65W. doi:10.1016/0377-0273(83)90062-8.
- Wilson, Lionel; R. Stephen J. Sparks; George P. L. Walker (1987). "Explosive volcanic eruptions — IV. The control of magma properties and conduit geometry on eruption column behaviour". Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 63 (1): 117–148. Bibcode:1980GeoJI..63..117W. doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.1980.tb02613.x. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
- Self, S.; Sparks, R. S. J. (2006). "George Patrick Leonard Walker. 2 March 1926 -- 17 January 2005: Elected FRS 1975". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 52: 423. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2006.0029.
- "Professor George Walker". The Times. February 18, 2005.
- "Wollaston Medal". Award Winners since 1831. Geological Society of London. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- T. Thordarson, G. Larsen, S. K. Rowland, S. Self, A. Hoskuldsson, ed. (2009). Studies in Volcanology: The Legacy of George Walker. IAVCEI.
- Guardian obituary.
- IAVCEI - A George P.L. Walker symposium on Advances in Volcanology - Reykholt, Borgarfjordur, W-Iceland, 12–17 June 2006.
|This biographical article about a British geologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|