George Pratt (artist)
|Born||October 13, 1960|
|Enemy Ace: War Idyll|
|Awards||Eisner Award, 2003|
Pratt's first published comics work was for Marvel Comics' Epic Illustrated #20 (1983). Since then, his work has appeared in Heavy Metal, Eagle, and many other publications. He has also inked other artists' work and created painted covers for DC Comics.
In 1990, DC published Pratt's first graphic novel, Enemy Ace: War Idyll, which was nominated for both the Eisner Award and the Harvey Award. Enemy Ace: War Idyll has been translated into nine languages and at one point was on the required reading list at West Point. The book won the France Info Award for Best Foreign Language Graphic Novel, and the British Speakeasy Award for Best Foreign Language Graphic Novel.
Pratt's painted graphic novel Batman: Harvest Breed (DC) was nominated for two Eisner Awards.
As of the late 2000s, Pratt is working on the book See You in Hell, Blind Boy: A Tales of the Blues, based on his research of the Mississippi Delta. With Steven Budlong and James McGillion, Pratt made a documentary film about his Mississippi travels, also called See You in Hell, Blind Boy. The film won Best Feature Documentary at the 1999 New York International Independent Film & Video Festival.
Pratt has exhibited his work many times at the Society of Illustrators, and is featured in the Society's compendium The Illustrator In America: 1960-2000 (written by Walter Reed).IT is best described by its geat colors and effects too.
Pratt has illustrated cards for the Magic: The Gathering collectible card game.
Pratt taught for seven years at the Pratt Institute. He has also taught painting and illustration at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, the School of Visual Arts, the Savannah College of Art & Design, Virginia Commonwealth University, and currently at Ringling College of Art and Design.
- Enemy Ace: War Idyll (DC, 1990) ISBN 978-0-930289-78-2
- No Man's Land: A Postwar Sketchbook of the War in the Trenches (Tundra Press, 1992) ISBN 978-1-879450-64-6
- Batman: Harvest Breed (DC, 2003) ISBN 978-1-56389-775-7
- The Haunted Tank (written by Brian Azzarello)
- Pendarvis, Bob. "Artist is Serious About Comics," The Chronicle, Savannah College of Art and Design (September 28, 2001). Accessed Oct. 7, 2008.
- Official website
- Pratt page with art samples at Allen Spiegel Fine Arts
- Young, Robert. "George Pratt Interview excerpt from The Comics Interpreter #2"
- Herman, Ben, editor (2002, n.d.). "An Interview with George Pratt". NegativePop.com. Archived from the original on October 24, 2008.
- Solinas, Antonio. "Turpentine and Guns: The World of George Pratt," Comics Code.
- Hurtz, Jeremy. "Chapel Hill's Hidden Comic Genius," Daily Tar Heel (Feb. 2, 2001).