Probert was an autodidact on his instruments. He played with Bob Scobey (1950–53) and then with Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band. Between 1954 to 1969, he played in the Firehouse Five Plus Two Dixieland revival band, an ensemble formed by animators from Walt Disney Studios, and recorded with Disney composer George Bruns in 1957 and again in 1968. Probert led his own bands from 1973, touring America and Europe, especially The Netherlands. In 1997 Probert toured in England, Germany & the Netherlands with Big Bill Bissonnette's International Jazz Band; an all-star group which also featured Anthony "Tuba Fats" Lacen of New Orleans & British pianist Pat Hawes.
- Siren Songs (Jazz Crusade, 1995)
- By George! It's Probert in England (Jazz Crusade, 1995)
- In the Gutter Big Bill Bissonnette's International Jazz Band (Jazz Crusade, 1997)
- Big Bill Bissonnette & His International Jazz Band Vol. 1 & 2 (Jazz Crusade, 1997)
- George Probert's Second Story Jazz Band (Jazzology, 2000)