November 10, 1981 |
Tucson, Arizona, United States
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||73 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Tucson, Arizona|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
George H. Roop (born November 10, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist. He was a cast member of Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir, winning his preliminary and first round fights. He currently fights as a bantamweight in the UFC. He holds notable victories over former WEC Bantamwight champion Brian Bowles and UFC featherweight contender Chan Sung Jung.
Roop is from Tucson, Arizona and began competing in martial arts from a young age, winning Tae Kwon Do and judo tournaments while following the UFC in its early days. He later attended Canyon Del Oro High School, where he was a quarterback on the football team and participated in wrestling in the 112 lbs. division, and had also wrestled in middle school. He attended Pima Community College but elected not to wrestle. He met former UFC fighters Drew Fickett and Efrain Escudero while attending PCC.
Mixed martial arts
Roop developed his mixed martial skills at The Ultima Martial Arts and Primero Jiu-Jitsu in Tucson, Arizona. Roop's main experience comes from fighting in an Arizona-based promotion, Rage in the Cage, where he was the featherweight champion. He has fought as a lightweight, featherweight and bantamweight.
Roop was originally a fighter for the team, The Ultima Martial Arts. When the Ultimate Fighter ended, Roop moved out to Las Vegas, Nevada and began his training with Xtreme Couture. After Shawn Tompkins left Xtreme Couture, Roop followed him and started fighting for Team Tompkins. Now, he fights out of APEX MMA in Tucson, AZ.
The Ultimate Fighter
Roop defeated Rolando Delgado by decision in the preliminary round. This meant that he earned a shot in the TUF house. Roop was selected last overall in the team selections, by Team Mir. George's fight with John Polakowski was the last lightweight, first round fight. Right before the fight Roop broke his hand, during his team's practice. Roop won the fight by decision after two rounds. Frank Mir said it was the fight of the show. While Dana White stated "Sometimes fights that need a third round don't make it, even when they should."
In the semi-finals, Roop fought Phillipe Nover and lost in round one by submission.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Roop lost his UFC debut against former The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir cast mate Shane Nelson. Roop lost the fight via split decision. Roop had his next fight at UFC 98: Evans vs. Machida where he defeated Dave Kaplan via split decision.
In his third UFC fight, Roop stepped in on very short notice to take on George Sotiropoulos at UFC 101. Roop lost the fight in the second round after Sotiropoulos applied a kimura forcing Roop to tap instantly. Roop was let go, along with Thales Leites and Tamdan McCrory, after going 1-2 in the promotion.
After release from the UFC
After being released from the Ultimate Fighting Championships, Roop returned to the Rage in the Cage promotion to fight Matt Dell for the featherweight title. The fight took place on November 14 with Roop winning all three rounds on every judges scorecard to capture the title.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Roop was signed by the WEC after going only 1-0 since being released from the UFC. He was set to make his debut against Jesse Moreng on January 10, 2010 at WEC 46, but Moreng was forced off the card with an injury. Roop instead went down two weight classes to bantamweight and faced Eddie Wineland. Wineland defeated Roop via unanimous decision.
Roop faced Leonard Garcia on March 6, 2010 at WEC 47 after he replaced Diego Nunes who was forced off the card with an injury. The bout ended in a rare split draw but earned Fight of the Night honors.
Roop next faced Chan Sung Jung on September 30, 2010 at WEC 51. A significant underdog going into the fight, Roop won via KO due to a vicious head kick to the chin in the second round, earning him the Knockout of the Night bonus and giving Jung his first ever stoppage loss.
Return to Ultimate Fighting Championship
Roop fought former Team Tompkins teammate & training partner, Mark Hominick on January 22, 2011 at UFC: Fight For The Troops 2. Roop was knocked down multiple times and at just 1:28 of the first round Roop lost via TKO due to strikes.
Roop then faced Josh Grispi on June 4, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale. Although the underdog, he dominated the fight and finished Grispi with a body shot for the TKO finish in the third round.
Roop was expected to return to bantamweight and face Yuri Alcantara on January 19, 2013 at UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Bisping, replacing an injured Johnny Eduardo. However, Roop was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Pedro Nobre.
Roop was expected to face Francisco Rivera on October 19, 2013 at UFC 166. However, the pairing was shifted to November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31. He lost the fight via TKO in the second round.
Roop is the father of four children, fraternal twins Tristan and Nya Roop. The eldest child, Julian died in 2009 at the age of seven. Roop and his fiancée had their first child together, a boy named Payden, in September 2010.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|25 matches||14 wins||10 losses|
|Loss||14–10–1||Francisco Rivera||TKO (punches)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||2||2:20||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||14–9–1||Brian Bowles||TKO (punches)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||2||1:43||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–9–1||Reuben Duran||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Return to Bantamweight|
|Loss||12–9–1||Cub Swanson||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||2||2:22||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||12–8–1||Hatsu Hioki||Decision (split)||UFC 137||October 29, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–7–1||Josh Grispi||TKO (punch to the body)||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale||June 4, 2011||3||3:14||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–7–1||Mark Hominick||TKO (punches)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 2||January 22, 2011||1||1:28||Fort Hood, Texas, United States|
|Win||11–6–1||Jung Chan-Sung||KO (head kick)||WEC 51||September 30, 2010||2||1:30||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Draw||10–6–1||Leonard Garcia||Draw (split)||WEC 47||March 6, 2010||3||5:00||Columbus, Ohio, United States||Return to Featherweight; Fight of the Night|
|Loss||10–6||Eddie Wineland||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 46||January 10, 2010||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States||Bantamweight Bout|
|Win||10–5||Matt Dell||Decision (unanimous)||Rage in the Cage 137||November 14, 2009||3||5:00||Tucson, Arizona, United States||Featherweight debut|
|Loss||9–5||George Sotiropoulos||Submission (kimura)||UFC 101||August 8, 2009||2||1:59||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||9–4||Dave Kaplan||Decision (split)||UFC 98||May 23, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–4||Shane Nelson||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale||December 13, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–3||Nick Buschman||TKO (punches)||WFC: Armageddon||March 12, 2008||1||0:24||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||7–3||Tito Jones||Decision (unanimous)||Rage in the Cage 101||October 6, 2007||3||3:00||Fountain Hills, Arizona, United States|
|Win||6–3||Andrew Belvado||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cage Supremacy 2||July 22, 2007||1||1:01||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||5–3||Austin Pascucci||Submission (armbar)||Rage in the Cage 96||June 15, 2007||1||2:08||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||5–2||Ray Robinson||Submission (armbar)||Rage in the Cage 93||March 20, 2007||1||2:29||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||5–1||Matt Dell||Decision (split)||Rage in the Cage 91||February 24, 2007||3||3:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||4–1||Carlos Ortega||Decision (unanimous)||Rage in the Cage 88||November 11, 2006||3||3:00||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Win||3–1||Louie Rosa||Submission (punches)||Rage in the Cage 86||August 15, 2006||2||2:15||San Carlos, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Nick Hedrick||Submission (guillotine choke)||Rage in the Cage 85||August 5, 2006||1||1:42||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jason Sterling||Submission (rear naked choke)||Rage in the Cage 84||July 1, 2006||1||0:37||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||1–0||Austin Pascucci||Submission (armbar)||Rage in the Cage 82||May 26, 2006||2||2:42||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
- "Rob Emerson out George Roop in vs. George Sotiropoulos at UFC 101".
- "Thales Leites and George Roop Released by UFC".
- "George Roop set to face Matt Dell for Rage in the Cage Featherweight title Nov. 14th".
- "Weekend Rundown".
- "George Roop vs Jesse Moreng set for WEC 46".
- John Morgan. "George Roop signed to WEC, fights bantamweight Jesse Moreng at WEC 46".
- "Moreng forced to withdraw from WEC 46". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- "Rafael Rebello out; George Roop vs. Eddie Wineland in the works WEC 46 prelims". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- "WEC 46: Varner vs. Henderson results". wec.tv. 2010-01-11.
- "George Roop tapped as late replacement, faces Leonard Garcia at WEC 47". mmajunkie.com. 2010-02-20.
- "KOREAN ZOMBIE VS. ROOP ON TAP FOR WEC 51". mmaweekly.com. 2010-07-07.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Mark Hominick vs. George Roop likely for UFC Fight Night 23". mmajunkie.com. November 8, 2010.
- "The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 13 Finale: Josh Grispi vs George Roop booked for June 4 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. 2011-02-13.
- "Hatsu Hioki to Make UFC Debut Against George Roop at UFC 137". bloodyelbow.com. 2011-07-09.
- "UFC on FOX 2 adds Roop vs. Swanson". mmajunkie.com. December 5, 2011.
- "George Roop vs. Antonio Carvalho in the works for UFC 149 in Calgary". mmajunkie.com. April 10, 2012.
- "George Roop out, Daniel Pineda meets Antonio Carvalho at UFC 149". mmajunkie.com. June 26, 2012.
- "Johnny Eduardo out, George Roop in vs. Yuri Alcantara at UFC's return to Brazil". mmajunkie.com. November 2, 2012.
- "Pedro Nobre replaces George Roop, meets Yuri Alcantara at UFC on FX 7". mmajunkie.com. January 6, 2013.
- "George Roop vs. Reuben Duran a late addition to UFC 158 lineup". mmajunkie.com. February 21, 2013.
- Matt Erickson (March 28, 2013). "George Roop meets former bantamweight champ Brian Bowles at UFC 160". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Staff (August 4, 2013). "George Roop vs. Francisco Rivera joins stacked UFC 166 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Staff (2013-08-23). "Rivera vs. Roop to UFC Fight Night 31". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "Still Mourning, 6-Footer Roop Redefined At 135 Pounds". ufc.com. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- "Roop Proudly Piggybacking MMA’s Zombie Craze". WEC.tv. 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2010-09-29.