25 June 1932|
|Died||20 September 2014
Cause of death
|Occupation||Film director · Film producer · Screenwriter · Film editor · Author|
|Notable work||The Vanishing
|Home town||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
He was best known for directing two versions of The Vanishing, a 1988 Dutch-language release, originally titled Spoorloos, and the 1993 American version. Other feature films directed by Sluizer included Utz (1992) for producer John Goldschmidt, Crimetime (1995), and Dark Blood, which was discontinued after the death of its lead actor River Phoenix, but later completed and premiered at the Netherlands Film Festival in 2012. The film was shown two more times publicly on 2 October 2012 at the same festival.
Accusations against Ariel Sharon
Sluizer was accused by Israel officials of a 'modern blood libel' for his claims - which in 2010 finally achieved front page level publicity in Israel - that he had witnessed the then Defense Minister Ariel Sharon personally shooting two Palestinian children from close range near the Sabra-Shatilla refugee camp in 1982.
|1961||De Lage Landen|
|1972||João en het mes||João and the knife||Entered into the 22nd Berlin International Film Festival|
|1979||Twee Vrouwen||Twice a Woman|
|1982||Tepito Si||Short film|
|1985||Red Desert Penitentiary||Red Desert Penitentiary|
|1992||Utz||Utz||Entered into the 42nd Berlin International Film Festival|
|1993||Dark Blood||Dark Blood||Completed in 2012. Entered into the 32nd Netherlands Film Festival|
|1993||The Vanishing||The Vanishing||Remake of Spoorloos|
|1996||Mortinho por Chegar a Casa||Dying to Go Home||Directed with Carlos da Silva|
|1998||The Commissioner||The Commissioner||Entered into the 48th Berlin International Film Festival|
|2002||La Balsa de piedra||The Stone Raft|
|2009||The Chosen One||The Chosen One|
|2012||Dark Blood||Dark Blood|
- Director George Sluizer: Best known for two versions of film ‘The Vanishing’
- Roxborough, Scott. "River Phoenix's Last Film 'Dark Blood' to Debut at Film Festival in September". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- Cnaan Liphshiz, "I saw Ariel Sharon murder 2 Palestinian toddlers in Lebanon," Haaretz (November 19, 2010). Retrieved August 4, 2013
- "Berlinale: 1992 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Berlinale: 1998 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
|This article about a Dutch film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|