9 July 1977 |
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||72.0 in (183 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Vancouver, Washington, U.S.|
|Team||American Top Team|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-JitsuBlack belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
George Sotiropoulos (born 9 July 1977) is a Greek-descent Australian-born mixed martial artist who is currently fighting in the UFC's lightweight division. He is well known for appearing as a fighter on the TV show The Ultimate Fighter: Team Hughes vs. Team Serra, fighting on Team Serra and as the coach for Team Australia on The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes.
Mixed Martial Arts career 
Sotiropoulos began training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in 1997. He was promoted to black belt in 2004. In 2003 and 2007, he represented Australia in the Submission Wrestling World Championships. He has also competed in amateur boxing, and in 2004, won a Victorian State Amateur boxing title. Prior to his MMA career in the UFC, George Sotiropoulos trained with veteran UFC and Pride Fighting Championship fighter Enson Inoue. The two met during a winning bout Sotiropoulos had with Sergio Lourenço in Guam. He has remained affiliated with Enson Inoue's Purebred gyms throughout his career since then.
Following his appearance on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Hughes vs. Team Serra, Sotiropoulos moved to Long Island, NY to train at Serra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. George Sotiropoulos then relocated to Las Vegas, Nevada and trained at Xtreme Couture. During this time period he also trained at 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu with Eddie Bravo. He relocated in 2009 and is currently training at an Enson Inoue Purebred affiliate, Fisticuffs Gym located in Vancouver, Washington.
Early career 
Sotiropoulos made his Mixed Martial Arts debut in 2004 against fellow Australian Gavin Murie, in which George was able to win via armbar in the first round. He went on to win two more fights until his first career loss via split decision to Kyle Noke in 2005, one year later he was able to avenge his first loss by defeating Noke by unanimous decision. Sotiropoulos went on to have a 7-2 record in small MMA organizations, until he was invited to participate in The Ultimate Fighter in 2007.
The Ultimate Fighter 
Sotiropoulos defeated Jared Rollins in the first round of the competition by KO. He went on to defeat Richie Hightower in the quarterfinals via submission due to a kimura. Sotiropoulos was then defeated by Tom Speer in the semi-finals by knockout, shortly after an accidental thumb to the eye.
Ultimate Fighting Championship 
Sotiropoulos defeated Billy Miles at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Hughes vs Team Serra Finale via submission (rear naked choke) at 1:36 of the first round.
After an 18 month break in his career, Sotiropoulos switched weight classes, winning his lightweight debut at UFC 101 on 8 August 2009 against George Roop. During the bout, he showcased his high level BJJ skills, passing Roop's guard with ease. Sotiropoulos eventually forced the tap out with a kimura lock in the second round.
Sotiropoulos defeated Ultimate Fighter 9 alumni Jason Dent in the second round by armbar on 21 November 2009, at UFC 106. In a post-fight interview following the win, Sotiropoulos stated his desire to compete at the UFC 110 card, in Sydney, Australia. Sotiropoulos' wish was granted and faced Joe Stevenson on 21 February 2010 at UFC 110. Making his first appearance on the main card of a UFC pay-per-view event, Sotiropoulos improved to 5–0 in the UFC as he defeated Stevenson via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27) in a dominant performance, prompting Dana White to say that Sotiropoulos was "in the mix" for a title shot. The fight earned Sotiropoulos his first Fight of the Night award in the UFC.
Sotiropoulos then faced Joe Lauzon on 20 November 2010 at UFC 123. Sotiropoulos survived a fast start by his opponent, thus gassing Lauzon in one round, and allowing George to dominate the next round, winning by kimura in the 2nd round in a bout that won Fight of the Night honors. The win pushed Sotiropoulos to a perfect 7-0 record in the UFC and established him as one the top contenders in the UFC's lightweight division.
Sotiropoulos suffered his first UFC loss to Dennis Siver via unanimous decision at UFC 127. Sotiropoulos was unable to take the fight to the ground and was forced to strike with the German kickboxing champion Siver. The loss setback Sotiropoulos' chances of a title shot. 
Sotiropoulos was expected to face Evan Dunham on 2 July 2011 at UFC 132. However, Dunham was forced out of the bout with an injury, and replaced by Rafael dos Anjos. Sotiropoulos was knocked out just 59 seconds into the first round.
In July 2012 Sotiropoulos was confirmed as the Australian coach for The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes, and faced Ross Pearson on 15 December 2012 at the finale - UFC on FX 6. Pearson dominated him throughout the fight, and although he narrowly avoiding being knocked out several times, Sotiropoulos was visibly rocked in all three rounds; being knocked down in two of them. He eventually lost the fight to a vicious third round TKO from Pearson. 
UFC Undisputed 
Personal life 
Sotiropoulos has a Bachelor of Business in Banking & Finance, Associate Diploma of Business in International Trade from Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. Prior to competing in mixed martial arts, he worked in the finance industry. George married his wife Cliona on 16 August 2009, in New York City. He currently resides in Vancouver, Washington.
Mixed martial arts record 
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||14 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||14-5||Ross Pearson||KO (punches)||UFC on FX: Sotiropoulos vs. Pearson||15 December 2012||3||0:41||Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia|
|Loss||14-4||Rafael dos Anjos||KO (punch)||UFC 132||2 July 2011||1||0:59||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14-3||Dennis Siver||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 127||27 February 2011||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||14-2||Joe Lauzon||Submission (kimura)||UFC 123||20 November 2010||2||2:43||Auburn Hills, Michigan, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Win||13-2||Kurt Pellegrino||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 116||3 July 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12-2||Joe Stevenson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 110||21 February 2010||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia||Fight of the Night|
|Win||11-2||Jason Dent||Submission (armbar)||UFC 106||21 November 2009||2||4:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10-2||George Roop||Submission (kimura)||UFC 101||8 August 2009||2||1:59||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States||Lightweight Debut|
|Win||9-2||Roman Mitichyan||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs Lauzon||2 April 2008||2||2:24||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||8-2||Billy Miles||Submission (rear-naked choke)||TUF 6 Finale||8 December 2007||1||1:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7-2||Jung Hwan Cha||Submission (armbar)||Spirit MC 11: Invasion||22 April 2007||2||3:27||Seoul, South Korea|
|Loss||6-2||Shinya Aoki||DQ (groin strike)||Shooto||14 October 2006||2||0:05||Yokohama, Japan|
|Win||6-1||Shigetoshi Iwase||Decision (unanimous)||Kokoro: Kill Or Be Killed||15 August 2006||2||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||5-1||Kyle Noke||Decision (unanimous)||Warriors Realm 5||25 February 2006||5||5:00||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||4-1||Sergio Lourenco||Decision (unanimous)||FFCF 5: Unleashed||27 January 2006||3||5:00||Mangilao, Guam|
|Loss||3-1||Kyle Noke||Decision (split)||Warriors Realm 4||2 July 2005||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||3-0||Marcio Bittencourt||Submission (rear-naked choke)||K-1 Challenge 2004 Oceania vs World||18 December 2004||1||3:30||Gold Coast, Australia|
|Win||2-0||Kelly Jacobs||Submission (armbar)||Warriors Realm 2||10 December 2004||1||4:12||Southport, Queensland|
|Win||1-0||Gavin Murie||Submission (armbar)||XFC 6: Ultimate Fighting Returns||20 November 2004||1||1:28||Southport, Queensland|
- Meltzer, Dave (27 August 2007). "Participants in Ultimate Fighter season six are announced". Los Angeles Times.com. Archived from the original on 24 October 2007. Retrieved 27 August 2007.
- "George Sotriopoulos Official Website". Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- "Interview: Enson Inoue & George Sotiropoulos (Part Two)". total-mma.com. 5 May 2008. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "Interview: Enson Inoue & George Sotiropoulos (Part One)". total-mma.com. 2 May 2008. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "Purebred". Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "Serra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academies on Long Island, New York".
- "George Sotiropoulos Interview w/ 10th Planet Watch". 10thplanetwatch.com. 16 September 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "MMA figher Sotiropoulos plans move to Vancouver". columbian.com. 28 August 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "Purebred USA". purebredusa.com. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "Fisticuffs Gym".
- "George Sotiropoulos: Straight To The Top". ufc.com date=2009-11-11. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "George Sotiropoulos out, debuting Matt Veach in for UFC Fight Night 17". mmajunkie.com. 28 January 2009. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "Rob Emerson out George Roop in vs. George Sotiropoulos at UFC 101". aroundtheoctagon.com. 22 July 2009. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "UFC 106 Jason Dent vs George Sotiropoulos: Dent vs Sotiropoulos UFC 106". Profighting-fans.com. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- "UFC 106 Win Helps Sotiropoulos Land on UFC 110 Card". mmafighting.com. 22 November 2009. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "Joe Stevenson vs. George Sotiropoulos Planned for UFC 110 in Australia". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Dana White says title talk premature, but UFC 110's George Sotiropoulos "in the mix"
- "George Sotiropoulos vs. Joe Lauzon slated for UFC 123, title shot may loom". mmajunkie.com. 8 September 2010.
- "George Sotiropoulos Gets His Wish, Faces Dennis Siver on the main card at UFC 127 in Sydney.". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "UFC 132: Evan Dunham vs George Sotiropoulos booked for Fourth of July weekend event". MMAmania.com. 17 March 2010.
- "George Sotiropoulos to fight Brazilian star Rafael dos Anjos". heraldsun.com.au. 3 May 2011.
- "Takanori Gomi vs George Sotiropoulos announced for Feb. 26 in Japan". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- "UFC 144: George Sotiropoulos Out, Eiji Mitsuoka In Against Takanori Gomi". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2012-01-31.
- "UFC on FX 6 Will Also Feature vs. Pearons and ‘The Smashes' Finals". mmaweekly.com. 7 September 2012.
- "UFC on FX 6 Results: Ross Pearson TKOs George Sotiropoulos". mmaonline.com. 2012-12-14.
- Derr, Garrett. "UFC Undisputed 3 Releases Full Roster". Bleacher Report.
- "Fighter Detail George Sotiropoulos". ufc.com. Retrieved 28 November 2009.[dead link]
- "George Sotiropoulos gets married in New York City". BLOODYELBOW.com. 16 August 2009. Retrieved 25 August 2009.
- "Vancouver fighter set for ultimate challenge". Columbian.com. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- Official website
- Professional MMA record for George Sotiropoulos from Sherdog
- Official UFC Profile
- George Sotiropoulos on Twitter
- George Sotiropoulos on Facebook