George Sykes (footballer)
|Full name||George Robert James Sykes|
|Date of birth||14 September 1994|
|Place of birth||Buckhurst Hill, England|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Bishop's Stortford (on loan from Barnet)|
|2013||→ Bishop's Stortford (loan)||11||(2)|
|2014||→ Farnborough (loan)||8||(1)|
|2014||→ St Albans City (loan)||7||(2)|
|2014–||→ Bishop's Stortford (loan)||8||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:08, 20 October 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Sykes joined the Barnet youth team as an under-16 and was top scorer in the English U-18 youth system in the 2011-12 season with 24 goals. He made his senior debut at the age of 17 against Bristol Rovers on 21 August 2012. Sykes signed his first professional contract with the Bees in November 2012. He won the League Two Apprentice of the Year award at the Football League Awards in March 2013. On 15 August 2013, he joined Bishop's Stortford on loan.
On his return to Barnet in November, Sykes came on as substitute at home to Cambridge United. With the score at 2-2, Sykes put the ball in the net in injury time after it had dropped from a cloud of smoke caused by a smoke bomb, obscuring the view of the assistant referee, who controversially disallowed the goal, claiming the ball had gone out of play, and Sykes was denied his first goal for Barnet. His first goal for Barnet came on November 30, when he scored an 89th minute acrobatic winner in an FA Trophy first round tie against Hayes & Yeading United.
Sykes joined Farnborough on loan on 31 January 2014, along with Jon Nurse. On March 13, he joined St Albans City on loan until the end of the season, and was part of the team that won the Southern Football League Premier Division play-offs.
- St Albans City
- Southern Football League Premier Division
- Play-off winners: 2013–14
- "Professional retain lists & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. May 2013. p. 4. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Youth Team Profiles
- Barnet 1 – 1 Bristol Rovers
- Sykes signs
- Barnet striker George Sykes named LFE Apprentice of the Year for League 2
- Sykes and Lowe leave on loan
- Up in smoke! Barnet have late winner chalked off after ball gets lost in white mist
- Last minute Sykes goal helps Bees progress
- Duo join Farnborough on loan
- Sykes joins on loan
- Frendo celebrates with a double as Saints secure promotion
- By George - he's back!
- Scotland summon Sykes