George Washington High School (Denver, Colorado)
George Washington High School (also "GW", "GWHS", "G-Dubb" and "George") is located near the intersection of South Monaco Parkway and Leetsdale Drive in Denver, Colorado. GW is recognized as the first school in Colorado to offer International Baccalaureate courses, beginning in 1984. GW is a large urban high school serving grades 9-12. GW is one of 14 high schools in the Denver Public Schools system and one of four named for a U.S. president.
Enrollment in the 2009-2010 school year was 1,491 students.
International Baccalaureate program
George Washington High School became Colorado's first International Baccalaureate World School in April 1984. The school offers two dozen International Baccalaureate classes. In 2007, 100% of GWHS IB graduates went on to attend college (39% in-state, 61% out-of-state), with a mean ACT score of 28.5 and SAT of 1920. Historically, half of GWHS IB graduates receive merit-based scholarships.
The school newspaper is The George Washington Surveyor, which is part of the High School National Ad Network. The paper takes its name from president George Washington's lifelong association with geography and cartography. The Surveyor newspaper was the winner of the prestigious National Pacemaker Award from the National Scholastic Press Association in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
- Chauncey Billups, NBA player, NBA Finals MVP with the Detroit Pistons
- Sierra Boggess, singer and actress
- Greg Primus, former NFL player for the Chicago Bears
- Dianne Reeves, jazz vocalist, winner of Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album in 2001, 2002, 2004 & 2006
- Martin Moran, Broadway actor and author of The Tricky Part
- Brer Rabbit and Andy Guerrero, members of The Flobots
- Anita Diamant, author of The Red Tent and other fiction and non-fiction books
- Alexander James Wilson, producer of "Don't Touch That", viewed by 1.5 million people worldwide
- "Denver Public Schools". Schoolforms.dpsk12.org. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "The Piton Foundation". Piton.org. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "GWHS - IB Program Background". Georgeib.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "International Baccalaureate". Ibo.org. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- [dead link]
- "NSPA - Contest Winners". Studentpress.org. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Chauncey Billups Biography". JockBio. 1976-09-25. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- ""Mermaid" star visits school that set her dreams afloat". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Birnbaum, Robert (2007-11-13). "Dianne Reeves". The Morning News. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Wilson, Alex (2007-04-04). "Don't Touch That". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-01-27.