George Washington House (Bladensburg, Maryland)
George Washington House
George Washington House November 2008
|Location||Baltimore Ave. at Upshur St., Bladensburg, Maryland|
|Architectural style||No Style Listed|
|NRHP Reference #||74002198|
|Added to NRHP||August 07, 1974|
The George Washington House, or Indian Queen Tavern, is located at Baltimore Ave., at Upshur St., in Bladensburg, Prince George's County, Maryland. It was constructed in the 1760s. The 2 1⁄2-story structure is constructed of brick Flemish bond on ends. The plan is rectangular, with a gabled roof, exterior end chimneys, gabled shingled dormers. There are first and second-story center entrances, each with a transom. There is a full-width 1-story porch with balustraded deck, side entrances. The structure includes a later 2-story rear addition. The structure is Georgian.
It represents the last remnant of a social and commercial complex established in the 1760s by Jacob Wirt, whose son William Wirt later became prominent U.S. Attorney General and 1832 Presidential candidate. The Indian Queen Tavern gained its reputation as the "George Washington House" through an assumption that "George Washington slept here." Research in primary sources has shown that the extant structure was never a tavern during Washington's lifetime, although it is possible that he stayed in the frame Indian Queen Tavern formerly located next to the present structure. The brick tavern began to be known as the "George Washington House" before 1878 when it was being used as a hotel. The structure also housed Jacob Coxey's "army" of unemployed during an 1894 march on Washington, D.C. to demand relief. It now serves as headquarters for the Anacostia Watershed Society.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "Prince George's County Historic Sites Summary Sheet: PG:69-2 Indian Maid Tavern". Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- "George Washington House". Maryland Historical Trust. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- George Washington House, Prince George's County, Inventory No.: PG:69-2, including photo in 1996, at Maryland Historical Trust website
- M-NCPPC Inventory of Historic Sites (Prince George's County); George Washington House, entry 69-005-02, p. 67
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. MD-617, "George Washington House, Baltimore Avenue & Upshur Street, Bladensburg, Prince George's County, MD", 1 photo, supplemental material
|This article about a property in Maryland on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|