George Wyndham Hamilton Knight-Bruce DD was an Anglican Bishop serving in Southern Africa, first as Bishop of Bloemfontein and then as the inaugural Bishop of Mashonaland, in the late nineteenth century. Knight-Bruce was born in 1853 and, having retired early owing to ill health, died in 1896.
Education and early appointments
Born in 1853, he was educated at Eton and Merton College, Oxford, and ordained in 1887. He began his career with curacies at Bibury and Wendron. He then held incumbencies at Everton[disambiguation needed] and Bethnal Green.
Knight-Bruce was accompanied by the lay catechist and, ultimately, martyr, Bernard Mizeki, (c 1861-1896) who under Knight-Bruce and his successor Bishop Gaul would carry out missionary work amongst the Shona people.
Knight-Bruce left an account of this missionary endeavour in his published Journals of the Mashonaland Mission 1888 to 1892, and in subsequent reminiscences under the title Memories of Mashonaland.
The Bishop retired early due to ill health.
Return to England
- “Who was Who” 1897–2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, Hamilton & Co 1889
- “Registrum sacrum Anglicanum. An attempt to exhibit the course of episcopal succession in England from the records and chronicles of the church” Stubbs, W(Ed) Oxford, Clarendon, 1896
- Knight-Bruce, George Wyndham (1892). Journals of the Mashonaland Mission 1888 to 1892. Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts.
- Wits Historical Papers
- Journals of the Mashonaland Mission 1888 to 1892 by G. W. H. Knight-Bruce, 1892
- Memories of Mashonaland by G. W. H. Knight-Bruce, 1895
- The Times, Thursday, Dec 17, 1896; pg. 6; Issue 3576; col C Obituary Bishop Knight-Bruce
|Anglican Church of Southern Africa titles|
Alan Becher Webb
|Bishop of Bloemfontein
John Wale Hicks
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Mashonaland
William Thomas Gaul
|This article about an individual Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a United Kingdom religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Christianity-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|