Georges Marie Martin Cottier, O.P.
|Pro-Theologian Emeritus of Prefecture of the Papal Household|
|Other posts||Secretary General of International Theological Commission (1989-2003)
Theologian of Prefecture of the Papal Household (1989-2003)
Pro-Theologian of Prefecture of the Papal Household (2003-2005)
|Ordination||2 July 1951|
|Consecration||20 October 2003|
|Created Cardinal||21 October 2003|
|Rank||Cardinal Priest of Santi Domenico e Sisto pro hac vice|
25 April 1922 |
Cottier was born in Carouge, Switzerland, joined the Dominican Order in 1945. Cottier studied theology and philosophy at the Pontificium Athenaeum Internationale Angelicum , the future Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Angelicum until 1952 obtaining a baccalaurate in philosophy and a licentiate in theology. While at the Angelicum he was ordained a priest in 1951.
He was a professor at the Universities of Geneva and Fribourg. He became secretary of the International Theological Commission in 1989. He was nominated Pro-Theologian of the Pontifical Household in 1990. He was appointed Titular Archbishop of Tullia in 2003 and consecrated on 20 October 2003.
He was created and proclaimed Cardinal-Deacon of Santi Domenico e Sisto (Saints Dominic and Sixtus), the University Church of the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Angelicum by Pope John Paul II in the Consistory of October 21, 2003. Having served 10 years as a cardinal-deacon, he was promoted to cardinal-priest by Pope Francis on June 12, 2014.
Barack Obama and abortion
In the run-up to President Barack Obama’s July 10, 2009 meeting with Pope Benedict XVI, Cottier praised Obama’s “humble realism” and compared the president’s approach to abortion to the thinking of St. Thomas Aquinas and early Christian tradition about framing laws in a pluralistic society.
Cottier has defended the Church's view that the embryo is fully a human being.
Pius XII's legacy
He has come out in defense of Pope Pius XII against those that continue to criticize his legacy.
Cottier has been critical of anonymous Christianity, saying that a theological system that absorbs all realities into Christ ends by turning Christ into a kind of metaphysical postulate of the affirmation of human values, which makes the Church incapable of engaging in serious dialogue, even on the level of human rights. Then, saying that everybody is already of Christ, whether they know it or not, can make the mission futile.
Condoms and HIV
Cottier has said that the use of condoms may be morally licit in the context of fighting AIDS.
- http://books.google.com/books?id=W8Ma_qbPQMUC&pg=PA86#v=onepage&q&f=false Accessed 2-19-2013
- Cf. Office of Papal Liturgical Celebrations, Consistory of October 21, 2003: Assignment of the Titles or the Deaconries to the new Cardinals
- Cf. Holy See Press Office, College of Cardinals, Biographical notes, Cottier Card. Georges Marie Martin, O.P.
- "Assegnazione del titolo presbiterale ad alcuni cardinali diaconi creati nel consistoro del 21 ottobre 2003" (in Italian). 2014-06-12. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- Former papal theologian praises Obama's 'realism', even on abortion
- Eucharistic communion implies a communion in its entirety
- The embryo a already a human being
- Anachronistic polemic
- If everything is grace, then grace is no more»
- Cardinal : condoms can be legitimate
- Georges Cottier in the German National Library catalogue
- Biografía del Georges Marie Martin Cottier OP dominicos.org (Spanish)
|Catholic Church titles|
Mario Luigi Ciappi
|Theologian of the Pontifical Household