Georges Vanier Secondary School
|Georges Vanier Secondary School|
Scholarship, Spirit, Social Responsibility! We believe it! We live it!
|3000 Don Mills Road
Toronto, Ontario, M2J 3B6, Canada
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Michael Couteau|
|Administrator||SAC President= Khadija Waseem (2012-2013)|
|School type||High school, Public|
|Team name||Vanier Vikings|
|Colours||Maroon and White|
|Enrollment||891 (Spring of 2005)|
Georges Vanier Secondary School is a high school located in Toronto, Ontario. The school was selected by the Canadian Education Association as one of 21 exemplary schools across Canada. Georges Vanier offers specialized programs such as MSc.com, Program2 Art, "One World Youth Arts Project" program, BSc@Van, the Aerospace and "Focus on Information Technology" program, in addition to offering an Advanced Placement program and a Centennial College Partnership program. These programs give students the opportunity to earn nationally recognized certifications.
- Ravi Baichwal, Chicago-based news anchor for ABC News, former national reporter and anchor for CTV News.
- Kirk McLean, the goaltender for the Vancouver Canucks that led them to the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Mark McKoy, Track & Field Olympian
- Benny Hinn, TV evangelist and faith healer.
- Geddy Lee, lead singer and bassist of the rock band Rush
- Alex Lifeson, guitarist of the rock band Rush
- Maurice LaMarche, two-time Emmy-winning voice actor for Futurama, also Emmy-nominated in 1998 for his voice acting work as "The Brain" in Pinky and the Brain.
- Howie Mandel, comedian and Deal Or No Deal host, attended for half a year, and Vanier is the unnamed high school he references as the one to which he called in contractors for an estimate for an unauthorized addition to the east wing. He was expelled for the prank.
- Thomas Cully Hollywood Film & Television Producer @ Player Entertainment Group & El Patron Productions
- Garth Richardson, Grammy nominated engineer, Juno nominated and Juno winning music producer
- Alannah Myles, recording artist and songwriter best known for the 1989 hit single, Black Velvet
- David Bendeth, Award winning music producer, writer, mixing engineer and recording artist.
- Dennis Kolosov, York University scientist.
- Brian Regendanz, 4 time Juno award winner with 2 Grammy Nominations as production and artist manager, President & co-founder of Deadbolt Music
- Rob Salem, TV and film critic for the Toronto Star; founding director of the Toronto International B Festival/Cult Film Festival; host of Drive-In Classics channel