|Georgiy Nikolayevich Daneliya|
Georgiy Daneliya (2010)
25 August 1930 |
Tbilisi, Georgian SSR, USSR
|Occupation||film director and screenwriter|
Georgiy Daneliya (Georgian: გიორგი დანელია Giorgi Danelia; Russian: Гео́ргий Никола́евич Дане́лия; born 25 August 1930) is a Soviet/Georgian/Russian film director, who became known throughout the Soviet Union for his "sad comedies" (as he styles them).
Daneliya graduated from the Moscow Architecture Institute and worked as an architect. In 1956, he entered the Higher Director’s Courses at the Mosfilm Studio where his teachers were Mikhail Romm, Sergei Yutkevich, Leonid Trauberg, Yuli Raizman, and Mikhail Kalatozov.
His 1964 feature I Step Through Moscow, starring Nikita Mikhalkov, is one of the most characteristic films of the Khrushchev Thaw. Among Daneliya's most popular movies are Mimino (1977), about a Georgian pilot's adventures in Moscow, and The Autumn Marathon (1979), about a translator vacillating between his wife and mistress. Mimino won the Golden Prize at the 10th Moscow International Film Festival. In 1986 he directed a sci-fi film, Kin-dza-dza!.
Most of his films featured his then-wife Lyubov Sokolova, whom the Guinness Book of Records cites as the most prolific film actress, and his friend Yevgeny Leonov. Daneliya was named a People's Artist of the USSR in 1990.
Georgiy Daneliya is the author or co-author of scripts to most of his films; he also wrote scripts for films by other directors, among which are Gentlemen of Fortune (Джентльмены Удачи) (1972) (collaboration with Viktoriya Tokareva), Frenchman (Француз) (1988) with Sergei Bodrov and Hello from Charlie the Trumpet player (Привет от Чарли Трубача) (1998) with Sergei Dernov.
- Vasisuali Lohankin (Васисуалий Лоханкин) (1958); short
- Also People (Тоже люди) (1959); short
- Splendid Days (Серёжа) (1960); co-directed with Igor Talankin
- The Road to Berth (Путь к причалу) (1962)
- Walking the Streets of Moscow (Я шагаю по Москве) (1963)
- Thirty Three (Тридцать три) (1965)
- Don't Grieve (Не горюй!) (1969)
- Hopelessly Lost (Совсем пропащий) (1972)
- Afonya (Афоня) (1975)
- Mimino (Мимино) (1977)
- Autumn Marathon (Осенний марафон) (1979)
- Tears Were Falling (Слёзы капали) (1982)
- Kin-dza-dza! (Кин-Дза-Дза!) (1986)
- The Passport (Паспорт) (1990)
- Nastya (Настя) (1993)
- Heads and Tails (Орёл и Решка) (1995)
- Fortune (Фортуна) (2000)
- Ku! Kin-dza-dza! (Ку! Кин-дза-дза) (2013)
- 1972 – Gentlemen of Fortune (Джентльмены удачи); with Viktoriya Tokareva
- 1988 – Frenchman (Француз); with Sergei Bodrov
Honours and awards
- This article incorporates information from the equivalent article on the Russian Wikipedia.
- Cannes Film Festival
- Winner in the category Special mention ribbons young filmmakers – 1964 – I Step Through Moscow
- 1987 – The movie Kin-dza-dza
- 1991 – nominated for "Best Screenplay" in the film Passport
- 2008 – For the honour and dignity
- 1996 – Sochi, the Special Jury Prize, the movie Eagle and Tails
- 1999 – Sochi, Russian President Award "for outstanding contribution to the development of Russian cinema"
- 2000 – Sochi, the winner in the category of "President's Council Award", for the movie Fortune
- 1964 – Diploma of the Komsomol, for the movie I Walk around Moscow
- 1976 – Frunze, Special Jury Prize for Best Director, Film Afonya
- 1980 – Dushanbe, the main prize, the film Autumn Marathon
- 1960 – Carlsbad, Grand Prize "Crystal Globe", the film Sergei
- 1964 – Cannes, Winner of 'Special Mention ribbons of young directors, a film I Step Through Moscow
- 1994 – Milan, the main prize, the film I Step Through Moscow
- 1966 – Rome, the Special Prize of the Festival, the film I Step Through Moscow
- 1970 – Mardel Plata, Special Jury Prize "Condor", the film Do not worry!
- 1970 – Cartagena, Award for Best Actor, the film Do not worry!
- 1975 – Tashkent, the main prize, the film Afonya
- 1977 – Moscow, the main prize, the film Mimino
- 1979 – Avelino, prize "Gold Lacheno" movie Mimino
- 1979 – Venice Prize FIPRESCI, film Autumn Marathon
- 1979 – San Sebastian, the main prize "Big Gold Sink", film Autumn Marathon
- 1980 – Carlsbad, Prize of Soviet-Bulgarian friendship, the film Autumn Marathon
- 1987 – Madrid, Special Jury Prize, the movie Kin-dza-dza
- 1987 – Rio de Janeiro, a special jury prize, the movie Kin-dza-dza
- 1987 – Porto, Special Jury Prize, the movie Kin-dza-dza
- 1990 – Cannes, Spetsilny prize, the film Passport
- 1993 – Rimini, The Prize "Amarcord", the movie Anastasia
- 1996 – Rome Prize "Amarcord", the film Passport
- 1996 – Warne, "Love and passion," the main prize, the movie Eagle and Tails
- 1997 – St. Petersburg, the "Golden Ostap", nominated for "The Legend"
- KF "Golden Duke"
- 1990 – Odessa, Grand Prix, the film Passport
- ICF comedy films
- 1980 – Chamrousse, the main prize, the film Autumn Marathon
- 1981 – Gabrovo, Special Award, the film Autumn Marathon
- International review of films in Acapulco
- 1960 – Prize "Golden Head of Palenque", film Sergei
- "Golden laurel wreath" the Foundation David Oliver O. Selznick
- 1961 – film Sergei
- "Golden Aries"
- 1995 – "Man Film of the Year"
- 1996 – movie Anastasia
- 1996 – movie Heads and Tails
- 1996 – film Passport
- CCF VC
- 1978 – Yerevan, prize for best comedy film, film Mimino
- 1978 – The film Mimino
- 1981 – film Autumn Marathon
- Prize "The Wanderer"
- 2002 – St. Petersburg, nominated for "The Legend of fantastic cinema"
- Award "Triumph"
- KF "Viva Cinema of Russia!"
- 2005 – St. Petersburg prize "Unfading viewers love"
- 2005 – "For loyalty to the profession"
- MF debut film "The Spirit of Fire"
- 2006 – The main prize – "Golden Taiga", "For his contribution to cinema"
- State Awards
- Honored Artist of the RSFSR (1965)
- People's Artist of RSFSR (1974)
- People's Artist of USSR (1989)
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland
- 2nd class (25 August 2010) – for outstanding contribution to the development of the domestic art of film and many years of creative activity
- 3rd class (29 August 2000) – for his great personal contribution to the development of cinema art
- USSR State Prize (1978) – for the film Mimino (1977)
- State Prize of the RSFSR Vasiliev brothers (1981)
- Honorary Citizen of Tbilisi (1985)
- Russian Federation State Prize in the field of cinema in 1996 (29 May 1997) – for the feature films Passport, Anastasia, The Eagle and Tails
- Order of the Badge of Honour
- Order of the Red Banner of Labour
- Commander of the Order of Honour (Georgia) (2000)
- Russian President's Award for his contribution to cinema.
- Honorary Member of Russian Academy of Arts
- Member of the USSR Union of Cinematographers
- Georgiy Daneliya at the Internet Movie Database
- (English) Film Director and Scriptwriter Georgiy Daneliya