Georgia Avenue – Petworth (WMATA station)
|Address||3700 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20009
|Connections||Metrobus: 60, 62, 63, 64, 70, 79, H8|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Bicycle facilities||12 lockers|
|Opened||September 18, 1999|
|Passengers (2012)||1.953 million 1.1%|
Similar to many other Washington Metro stations, Georgia Avenue-Petworth has catalyzed development in the neighborhood it serves. The District of Columbia Office of Planning has sectioned development proposals into four localities near the station: Park View/Park Morton, Petworth-Metro, Pleasant Plains, and Upshur.
The Park View region comprises three blocks along Georgia Avenue south of the station: 3200 West, 3400 East, and 3500 East. The options for each block have been mainly limited to infill residential or four-to-six story mixed-use development due to a height limit of 50 ft (15 m). Further south is the Pleasant Plains sector, which contains sites at 2700 West and 2900 West on Georgia Avenue, also subject to the low height restriction but with more emphasis on apartments and row houses.
Unlike Park View and Pleasant Plains, Petworth-Metro and Upshur lie to the north of the station. Petworth-Metro is the largest neighbourhood in terms of both sites available and height, with a restriction of 65 ft (20 m). It contains a series of blocks on Georgia Avenue from Princeton Place to Shepherd Street, with the 3700 West block already developed as Park Place, containing 148 condos and 17,000 sq ft (1,579 m2) of street-level retail space. Upshur, the most northerly of all of the regions, contains sites centred on Upshur Street near the intersection with Kansas Avenue. Like Pleasant Plains, the Planning Office has focused on residential development for Upshur.
The station's west entrance closed on December 11, 2006, to accommodate construction of a mixed-use development. This required the relocation of bus stops, bike racks, and lockers. The entrance was closed for three years. Reopening was planned for 2008 but did not occur until 2009.
|G||Street Level||Exit/ Entrance|
|M||Mezzanine||One-way faregates, ticket machines, station agent|
|Southbound||← Green Line toward Branch Avenue (Columbia Heights)
← Yellow Line toward Huntington (Columbia Heights)
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Northbound||→ Green Line toward Greenbelt (Fort Totten) →
→ Yellow Line toward Fort Totten (Terminus) →
- Petworth-Park View neighborhood profile WDCEP Retrieved 2012-05-16
- Georgia Avenue-Petworth Metro Station Area and Corridor Plan Office of Planning Retrieved 8 February 2010
- Redevelopment sites: Park View/Park Morton Office of Planning Retrieved 8 February 2010
- Redevelopment sites: Pleasant Plains Office of Planning Retrieved 8 February 2010
- Redevelopment sites: Petworth-Metro Office of Planning Retrieved 8 February 2010
- Redevelopment sites: Upshur Office of Planning Retrieved 8 February 2010
- "Georgia Ave-Petworth rail station west entrance to close for construction" (Press release). WMATA. December 7, 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-25.
- WMATA: Georgia Ave-Petworth Station
- StationMasters Online: Georgia Ave-Petworth
- The Schumin Web Transit Center: Georgia Ave-Petworth Station
- Georgia Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View