Georgia State Route 240
|Maintained by GDOT|
|Length:||37.6 mi (60.5 km)|
|Existed:||1946 – present|
|South end:||SR 26 in Fountainville|
| US 19 / SR 3 in Murrays Crossroads
SR 137 in Tazewell
SR 240 Conn. southeast of Five Points
SR 127 in Five Points
|North end:||SR 96 in Geneva|
|Counties:||Macon, Schley, Marion, Talbot|
State Route 240 (SR 240) is a southeast-northwest state highway located in the west-central part of the U.S. state of Georgia. It runs for approximately 37.6 miles (60.5 km) through portions of Macon, Schley, Marion, and Talbot counties.
Route description 
SR 240 begins at an intersection with SR 26 in Fountainville, which is west-southwest of Oglethorpe, in Macon County. The route runs north, and then curves to the west, through rural portions of the county. It enters Schley County, where it intersects US 19/SR 3 in the community of Murrays Crossroads. It then curves to the northwest, and enters Marion County. SR 240 intersects SR 137 in Tazewell. The route then curves to the northeast to an intersection with the southern terminus of its banner route, SR 240 Connector. A short distance later, the route meets SR 127 in the unincorporated community of Five Points. It then heads north and gradually curves to the northwest until it enters Talbot County and meets its northern terminus, an intersection with SR 96 in Geneva.
SR 240 was established in 1946 along an alignment from Fountainville to Tazewell. By 1960, the section from the Macon-Schley County line to Tazewell was paved. By 1963, the remainder of the original segment of the road, Fountainville to the Macon-Schley County line, was paved. Also, it was extended, and paved, all the way to Geneva.
Major intersections 
||Fountainville||0.0||0.0||SR 26 – Ellaville, Oglethorpe||Southern terminus|
||Murrays Crossroads||10.0||16.1||US 19 / SR 3 (North Broad Street) – Ellaville, Butler|
||Tazewell||19.8||31.9||SR 137 east – Butler||Southern end of SR 137 concurrency|
|19.9||32.0||SR 137 west (Dr. Deryl Hart Road) – Buena Vista||Northern end of SR 137 concurrency|
|23.7||38.1||SR 240 Conn. north (Ronnie Road) – Mauk||Southern terminus of SR 240 Connector|
|Five Points||25.5||41.0||SR 127|
||Geneva||37.6||60.5||SR 96 – Columbus, Butler||Northern terminus|
Related route 
Georgia State Route 240 Connector 
State Route 240 Connector
|Location:||Rural Marion County|
|Length:||1.9 mi (3.1 km)|
State Route 240 Connector (SR 240 Connector) is a brief connector route that runs from its southern terminus at the SR 240 mainline, south of Five Points northward to SR 127 northeast of Five Points.
There is no section of SR 240 Connector that is included as a part of the National Highway System, a system of routes determined to be the most important for the nation's economy, mobility and defense.
Major intersections 
The entire route is in Marion County.
|0.0||0.0||SR 240 – Tazewell, Geneva||Southern terminus|
|1.9||3.1||SR 127 – Buena Vista, Mauk||Northern terminus|
See also 
- Georgia State Highway Department (January 1, 1945) (PDF). Georgia State Highway System (Map). Cartography by GSHD. http://www.dot.ga.gov/maps/Documents/StateMaps/1945_01.pdf. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Georgia State Highway Department (November 7, 1946) (PDF). Georgia State Highway System (Map). Cartography by GSHD. http://www.dot.ga.gov/maps/Documents/StateMaps/1946.pdf. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – Route of SR 240 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=GA-240+N&daddr=GA-240+N&hl=en&ll=32.450679,-84.377747&spn=0.581745,0.883026&sll=32.579542,-84.55018&sspn=0.001135,0.001725&geocode=Ff-a7AEdjN37-g%3BFS8h8QEdlt71-g&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=19&t=h&z=10. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- "National Highway System: Georgia" (PDF). United States Department of Transportation. May 8, 2009. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- Georgia State Highway Department (July 1, 1957) (PDF). Georgia State Highway System (Map). Cartography by GSHD. http://www.dot.ga.gov/maps/Documents/StateMaps/1957.pdf. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Georgia State Highway Department (June 1, 1960) (PDF). Georgia State Highway System (Map). Cartography by GSHD. http://www.dot.ga.gov/maps/Documents/StateMaps/1960_1961.pdf. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Georgia State Highway Department (June 1, 1960) (PDF). Georgia State Highway System (Map). Cartography by GSHD. http://www.dot.ga.gov/maps/Documents/StateMaps/1961.pdf. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- Georgia State Highway Department (June 1, 1963) (PDF). Georgia State Highway System (Map). Cartography by GSHD. http://www.dot.ga.gov/maps/Documents/StateMaps/1963.pdf. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – Route of SR 240 Connector (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ronnie+Rd&daddr=Ronnie+Rd&hl=en&ll=32.446261,-84.424267&spn=0.036361,0.055189&sll=32.459452,-84.425498&sspn=0.001136,0.001725&geocode=FSng7gEdzLr3-g%3BFZJL7wEdMsT3-g&oq=Mauk&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=19&t=h&z=14. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Georgia State Route 240|