Location in Butler County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||6.3 sq mi (16.2 km2)|
|• Land||6.3 sq mi (16.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||292 ft (89 m)|
|• Density||279/sq mi (107.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0118914|
Georgiana is located in southern Butler County at 31°38'24.313" North, 86°44'21.991" West (31.640087, -86.739442). Interstate 65 passes to the northwest of the town, with access from Exit 114 (Alabama State Route 106). U.S. Route 31 (Mobile Road) passes through the east side of the town, leading north 16 miles (26 km) to Greenville, the county seat. Via I-65, it is 58 miles (93 km) north to Montgomery, the state capital, and 110 miles (180 km) southwest to Mobile.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 6.3 square miles (16 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,737 people, 697 households, and 462 families residing in the town. The population density was 277.3 people per square mile (107.1/km²). There were 829 housing units at an average density of 132.3 per square mile (51.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 61.77% Black or African American, 37.36% White, 0.23% Native American, and 0.63% from two or more races. 0.35% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 697 households out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.6% were married couples living together, 25.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.7% were non-families. 31.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the town the age distribution of the population shows 26.7% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 22.0% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 21.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 78.5 males. For every 100 women age 18 and over, there were 72.0 men.
The median income for a household in the town was $17,014, and the median income for a family was $21,950. Males had a median income of $23,056 versus $17,813 for females. The per capita income for the town was $10,166. About 33.7% of families and 38.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 56.5% of those under age 18 and 25.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Amasa Coleman Lee, Alabama lawyer and legislator
- Tom Morrow, former NFL safety for the Oakland Raiders
- Hank Williams, a country music legend
- William Herbert York, a bass player in Hank Williams' Drifting Cowboys band
- SS Georgiana, Confederate cruiser wrecked March 19, 1863, while attempting to run the U.S. Navy's blockade at Charleston, South Carolina
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Georgiana town, Alabama". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.