|— Gymnast —|
|Country represented||United Kingdom|
9 September 1993 |
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
|Residence||Bath, United Kingdom|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||58 kg (128 lb; 9 st 2 lb)|
|Club||Gibraltar Rhythmic Gymnastics Association|
|Head coach(es)||Sarah Moon|
|Former coach(es)||Sally Holmes|
Georgina Cassar (born 9 September 1993) is a Gibraltarian rhythmic gymnast. She represented Gibraltar at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India and competed for Team GB at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, United Kingdom.
Cassar was born on 9 September 1993 in Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom to Maltese banker Franco and English mother Jackie. The family settled in Gibraltar in 1996 when her father took up a senior post at a local bank. She was mainly educated in Gibraltar having attended Governor's Meadow Primary School, Bishop Fitzgerald Middle School and Westside School.
Cassar began training in ballet at the age of three. Cassar represented Gibraltar at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India. She came 16th in the overall competition. In 2012 she travelled to Bath to train full-time with the Olympic team. While there, she studied A-levels in psychology, biology and PE at King Edward's School. She planned on remaining in Bath for her second year of A-levels following the games.
Cassar competed for Team GB at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, United Kingdom. She could not represent her native Gibraltar because the Gibraltar Olympic Committee is not recognised by the International Olympic Committee; however, using a similar by-law to Anguillan long jumper Shara Proctor and Turks and Caicos Islander Delano Williams, Cassar was eligible to represent the United Kingdom as Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory and so she holds a British passport. She is the first athlete from Gibraltar to compete at the Olympic Games.
Cassar appeared on 10 August with the rest of Team GB. They came in 12th and failed to make the finals.
- "London 2012 - Georgina Cassar profile". Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- Mascarenhas, Alice (6 August 2012). "Georgina's Olympic Dream". Gibraltar Chronicle.
- Vella, Alex (25 July 2012). "A Maltese link in Team GB". Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "London 2012, Georgina Cassar". The Telegraph. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- Golt, Sonia. "7 Days Interview: Sally Holmes and Georgina Cassar". 7 Days. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- London, Bianca (24 July 2012). "You've heard of Victoria Pendleton and Jessica Ennis... now meet the OTHER Olympic babes going for gold". Daily Mail. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Georgina Cassar is the rock for history makers". This is Bath. Bath Chronicle. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- British Overseas Territories
- Mascarenhas, Alice (11 August 2012). "One great journey ends for Georgina, Gibraltar’s first Olympian". Gibraltar Chronicle.