Georgina Ward, Countess of Dudley
She was a daughter of Sir Thomas Moncreiffe of that Ilk, 7th Baronet, and Lady Louisa Hay-Drummond, daughter of the eleventh Earl of Kinnoull. Her sister Harriet became Lady Mordaunt; another sister, Louisa, married John Stewart-Murray, 7th Duke of Atholl.
Georgina Moncreiffe married the Earl of Dudley on 21 November 1865. He died on 7 May 1885.
During the Boer War and World War I, Lady Dudley served with the British Red Cross Society. In late 1900, she was involved in running the Mayfair nursing home for disabled officers under its auspices. Her actions at that time proved to be pivotal in ensuring Captain Trenchard (later to become Marshal of the Royal Air Force) recovered from a wound he had received in action.
She and her husband the Earl of Dudley had six sons and one daughter:
- William Humble Ward, 2nd Earl of Dudley (25 May 1867 – 29 June 1932)
- Sir Hon. John Hubert Ward (20 Mar 1870 – 2 December 1938)
- Hon. Robert Arthur Ward (23 February 1871 – 14 June 1942)
- Lady Edith Amelia Ward (16 September 1872 – 6 June 1956)
- Captain Hon. Reginald Ward (11 June 1874 – 7 March 1904)
- Captain Hon. Cyril Augustus Ward (31 January 1876 – 11 January 1930)
- Hon. Gerald Ernest Francis Ward MVO (9 November 1877 – 30 October 1914), a first class-cricketer for Marylebone Cricket Club, who served in the Ist Life Guards during the First World War and was killed in action at Zandvoorde, Belgium
- "Georgina Elisabeth Moncreiffe". www.thepeerage.com. 31 March 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- NYPL Digital Gallery | Detail ID 1224498 at digitalgallery.nypl.org
- Boyle, Andrew (1962). "Chapter 3". Trenchard Man of Vision. St. James's Place London: Collins. pp. 58 and 59.
- "Death of Georgina, Lady Dudley: A Great Lady of the Victorian Age". Glasgow Herald. 9 February 1929.
- "Ward, the Hon. Gerald Ernest Francis". Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Gerald Ward". Cricket Archive. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- BBC Your Paintings – Georgina Ward (1846–1929), Countess of Dudley (Oil on canvas full length portrait of Georgina Ward)
- National Portrait Gallery – Georgina Elizabeth Ward (née Moncreiffe), Countess of Dudley (National Portrait Gallery collection)
|This biography of a noble of the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|