|Genres||Folk, post punk, reggae|
|Occupations||Musician, poet, television producer|
|Associated acts||Geraint Jarman a'r Cynganneddwyr|
Geraint Jarman is a Welsh musician, poet, and television producer whose career dates back to the early years of Welsh popular music. He has recorded many albums as a solo artist and with his band Geraint Jarman a'r Cynganeddwyr.
Jarman grew up in Cardiff and his career began in the 1960s as a poet and composer, writing for Heather Jones. He was a member of Y Bara Menyn with Jones and Meic Stevens before establishing himself as a solo artist. He also wrote "Y Brawd Houdini", one of Stevens' most popular recordings. He introduced genres such as reggae into Welsh music and released many albums as a solo artist and with his band as Geraint Jarman a'r Cynganneddwyr (Geraint Jarman and the Poets), his first album (Gobaith Mawr y Ganrif) released in 1976 by Sain. In the late 1970s he was championed by John Peel who introduced him to a wider audience through his BBC Radio 1 show.
He has had several volumes of poetry published, including Cerbyd Cydwybod (2012, Gomer Press).
Gruff Rhys, in the liner notes of the Welsh Rare Beat album, paid tribute to Jarman's influence, stating "Jarman helped to sever ties with Celtic folk and serve as a bridge to a new wave of post punk/post Sain Welsh language artists in the 1980s and beyond who had a less self-conscious relationship with their Welsh identity." The BBC described him as the "father of Welsh rock".
His autobiography, Twrw Jarman, was published in 2011.
- Gobaith Mawr y Ganrif (1976), Sain
- Tacsi y'r Tywyllwch (1977), Sain
- Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (1978), Sain
- Gwesty Cymru (1979), Sain
- Fflamau'r Ddraig (1980), Sain
- Macsen (1983), Sain
- Enka (1985), Sain
- Taith y Carcharorion (1986), Sain - Geraint Jarman & Maffia Mr Huws
- Rhiniog (1992), Ankstmusic
- Y Ceubal Y Crossbar A'r Quango (1994), Ankstmusic
- Eilydd Na Ddefnyddiwyd / Sub Not Used (1998), Sain
- Morladron (2002), Sain
- Pirates (2002)
- Brecwast Astronot (2011), Ankstmusic
- Goreuon Geraint Jarman A'r Cynganeddwyr - Cyfrol 1 (1991), Sain
- Atgof fel angor (2008), Sain - 15CD retrospective
- Hill, Sarah (2007) 'Blerwytirhwng?' the Place of Welsh Pop Music, Ashgate, ISBN 978-0754658986, p. 67, 76, 124, 126
- Koch, John T. (2006) Celtic Culture: A Historical Encyclopedia, ABC-CLIO Ltd., ISBN 978-1851094400, p. 1769
- Owens, David (2000) Cerys, Catatonia And The Rise Of Welsh Pop, Ebury Press, ISBN 978-0091874124
- Mainwaring, Rachel (2013) "Living with Stargardst disease: How a Welsh woman is determined to live life to the full despite her deteriorating eyesight", Wales Online, 15 December 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2014
- Rhys, Gruff (2005) Welsh Rare Beat liner notes, Finders Keepers Records
- "Geraint Jarman", BBC (in Welsh). Retrieved 15 February 2014