Gerard Francis Claude Basset OBE, MS, MW, MBA, is the owner with his wife, Nina, of Hotel Terravina, a New Forest Hotel near Southampton in Hampshire, United Kingdom. According to a December 2008 interview with The Independent, he is currently the only person in the world to hold the combined titles of Master of Wine, Master Sommelier, Wine MBA and World's Best Sommelier.
Basset attended the Lycée Albert Camus in Firminy, France. After training in Lyon, he moved to England to start his career as a sommelier, quickly becoming Head Sommelier at Chewton Glen, the Michelin-starred hotel in Hampshire. In 1989 he qualified as a Master Sommelier and in 1998 as a Master of Wine. In 1992, he also won Best International Sommelier for French Wines (Paris). He has subsequently been ranked in 2nd place in the World's Best Sommelier Competition on three occasions, until he won the title upon his sixth attempt in 2010.
Basset published his first book in 2000 that focused on wine tasting designed for wine students called The Wine Experience edited by Kyle Cathie. In 2007, Basset opened Hotel TerraVina in the New Forest near Southampton with his wife Nina. Basset serves as the Worldwide Vice President at the Court of Master Sommeliers and is Director of the Academy of Food and Wine Service.
- Durack, Terry, The Independent (2008-12-07). "Delicious wine". independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Briton chosen world's best sommelier". AFP. 2010-04-16. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- mastersofwine.org, Masters of Wine, Gerard Basset profile
- "11th Competition for World's Best Sommelier". sommellerie-internationale.com. 2004-10-12. Retrieved 2009-06-15.[dead link]
- equal 2nd in 2007 "Sommelier du Monde 2007". sommellerie-internationale.com. 2005-05-21. Retrieved 2009-06-15.[dead link]
- Rose, Anthony, The Independent (April 17, 2010). World's best sommelier works in Britain
- "MWB acquires Hotel du Vin chain". newser.com. 2004-11-01. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- The London Gazette: . 11 June 2011.
- Woodard, Eichard, Decanter.com (March 6, 2013). "Gerard Basset named Decanter Man of the Year 2013".