|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
27 May 1959
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
|Died||28 October 2010(aged 51)|
|Other names||Gerry Kelly|
Paul "Gerard" Kelly (27 May 1959 – 28 October 2010) was a Scottish actor who appeared in many comedies, most notably in City Lights, Rab C Nesbitt, and Scotch and Wry. He also had more serious roles, including PC David Gallagher in Juliet Bravo (1982), the villainous Jimmy in EastEnders (1994) and the villainous Callum Finnegan in Brookside (1997–2000). He is perhaps best known, however, for his starring role as the hapless would-be author Willie Melvin in City Lights, which ran for six series, several Christmas specials and two stage tours from 1986 to 1992.
Kelly had a small part in the critically acclaimed film Comic Strip Presents... Mr Jolly Lives Next Door (1987).
From 2007 to 2010 he appeared regularly as Father Henderson, a camp Doctor Who-loving priest, in the award-winning BBC Radio 4 comedy Fags, Mags and Bags. In 2011, after Kelly's death, reference was made in the series to Father Henderson's move to another parish and to the fact that the new priest can never replace him.
In 1994 Kelly played Felix Ungar in a Scottish touring production of The Odd Couple, relocated to modern-day Glasgow, alongside Craig Ferguson as Oscar Madison. Kelly reprised the role at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2002, this time opposite his former City Lights co-star Andy Gray.
Kelly played the Narrator in The Rocky Horror Show in Edinburgh and Aberdeen from 21 June to 3 July 2010. He was due to revive this performance for one week at the King's Theatre, Glasgow, from 8 to 13 November 2010.
Kelly was well-known for his appearances in pantomime at the King's Theatre. He headlined the show for 20 years and was crowned King of Panto. In 2008 he appeared in Cinderella, and the following year (2009/10) he starred in Aladdin, his last pantomime.
Death and tribute
On New Year's Eve 2010 BBC1 Scotland broadcast an hour-long tribute to the star, Gerard Kelly: A Celebration.
- Brian Beacom (30 October 2010). "Gerard Kelly; actor". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Take Five | STV entertainment". Entertainment.stv.tv. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Mark Fisher (2 November 2010). "Gerard Kelly obituary | Stage". The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Actor Gerard Kelly dies after sudden illness | Glasgow and West | STV News". News.stv.tv. 29 October 2010. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "The Rocky Horror Show | UK Tour". Rockyhorror.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Panto stars show off Cinderella in a Glasgow shop window | STV Video". Video.stv.tv. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Actor Gerard Kelly dies after collapse
- Isleworth star of TV and stage Gerard Kelly dies
- "Gerard Kelly is Aladdin's best pal | On Stage: Latest News | STV Entertainment". Entertainment.stv.tv. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "BBC One - Gerard Kelly: A Celebration". Bbc.co.uk. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 2012-03-03.