12 September 1972 |
Watford, Hertfordshire, England
|Genres||Jazz, Contemporary Classical Music, Studio Musician|
|Occupations||Performer, Bandleader, Educator|
Presencer showed his first interest in what was to become his chosen instrument, the trumpet, at nine. Presencer attributes his early determination to become a trumpeter on hearing Roy Eldridge's solo from a Jazz at the Philharmonic live date. Presencer has also cited among others Dizzy Gillespie, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Wheeler, Woody Shaw and Clifford Brown as early influences.
At the age of eleven, he became the youngest trumpeter with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra. At the age of 18, Presencer began playing with pianist Stan Tracey, in his big band, octet, septet and in duo playing a live concert at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall, later released on the Blue Note label.
Presencer continued to work with British musicians such as Peter King, John Dankworth, John Taylor, Ronnie Scott, Norma Winstone and Mike Gibbs, as well as with international musicians, including Johnny Griffin, Chris Potter, Mark Turner, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Randy Brecker, Red Rodney, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, John Abercrombie and Bob Berg. He is a member of Charlie Watts' various jazz groups, with which he has recorded five albums, and was a featured soloist on US3's Cantaloop (Blue Note's biggest-selling release of the 1990s). He has also released three albums as leader.
In January 2010, Presencer played as a soloist with the Danish Radio Big Band for the opening of the Danish National Concert Hall. Later the same year he became a regular member of the big band and moved to Copenhagen.
In recent years, Presencer has collaborated frequently with contemporary classical composer Siobhan Lamb, as an improvising soloist within a classical lansdscape. Two albums were released in 2012 by the Naxos label Proprius: Meditations and The Nightingale and the Rose.
Gerard Presencer is the featured soloist on the 2011 BAFTA Award winning score of computer game L.A. Noire, also featuring Mark Turner, John Taylor, David Freidman, Jeff Ballard and Larry Grenadeir.
As a jazz educationalist, Presencer was the Head of the Jazz Department at the Royal Academy of Music from 1999 until 2010 and is current Head of the Brass Department at The Jazz Institute, Berlin. He has given workshops in European Jazz Conservatories (including Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Copenhagen).
In 2012 he is continuing to write a book addressing the technical requirements of trumpet playing in improvised music.
- As leader/co-leader
- 1998: Platypus (Linn)
- 2000: The Optimist (Linn)
- 2002: Chasing Reality (ACT)
- As sideman
- 1991: Charly Antolini Jazz Power – Recorded at the BBC Studio London (1991) Charly Antolini, with Dick Morrissey, Presencer, Len Skeat, Brian Lemon. - BELL BLR 84 042
- 1992: Innocence — Joe Gallivan (Cadence)
- 1993: Hand On The Torch — US3 (Blue Note Records)
- 1993: Front Row — Pressure Drop (Marlboro Music/IDE)
- 1993: Super Mario Bros. (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) — Various Artists (Capitol Records)
- 1993: Live at the QEH — Stan Tracy (Blue Note Records)
- 1994: Sailing — Dick de Graaf (Challenge Records)
- 1994: Brother Sister — Brand New Heavies (Delicious Vinyl)
- 1995: For Heaven's Sake — The New Stan Tracey Quartet (Cadillac)
- 1995: 100 Degrees And Rising — Incognito (Verve)
- 1995: Alternative — Pet Shop Boys (Parlophone)
- 1995: In The Hand Of The Inevitable — The James Taylor Quartet (Acid Jazz)
- 1995: Get Shorty (Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack) — Various Artists (Antilles)
- 1995: Gran Via — Matt Bianco (AMC)
- 1995: The Finest Collection Of Workshy — Workshy (Pony Canyon Inc.)
- 1996: Long Ago & Far Away — Charlie Watts (Virgin)
- 1997: Shelter — Brand New Heavies (Delicious Vinyl)
- 1998: Celebrating Grappelli — Stephane Grappelli (Linn Records)
- 1998: Make This City Ours — Claire Martin (Linn Records)
- 1998: Eyes Don't Lie — Truce (Big Life)
- 1999: Flip Fantasia: Hits & Remixes — US3 (Blue Note Records)
- 2000: Originations — Chick Corea (Stretch Records)
- 2000: Both Sides Now — Joni Mitchell (Reprise Records)
- 2000: Rise — Gabrielle (Universal Records)
- 2000: Trunk Funk Classics 1991-2000 — Brand New Heavies (Delicious Vinyl)
- 2000: Duke - The Durham Connection: A Selection from the Sacred Concerts — The Stan Tracey Orchestra (33 Records)
- 2000: Made By Walking — Tim Garland (Stretch Records)
- 2001: Very/Further Listening 1992-1994 — Pet Shop Boys (Parlophone)
- 2001: Dreams – Tony Coe, Gerard Presencer, Brian Lemon & Dave Green (Zephyr Records)
- 2003: Food Of Love — Pressure Drop (One Eye Records)
- 2003: Is You Is — Micatone (Sonar Kollektiv)
- 2003: Bar Lounge Classics Summer Edition — Various Artists (Sony Music Media)
- 2003: Vintage Chill Vol. 3: Autumn — Various Artists (Kriztal)
- 2003: 4 Walls of Freedom — Joe Locke (Sirocco Jazz)
- 2004: The Groove Lounge³ — Various Artists (EMI)
- 2004: When It Falls — Zero 7 (Elektra)
- 2004: Dreamland — Joni Mitchell (Asylum/Reprise Records)
- 2004: Watts At Scott's — Charlie Watts & The Tentet (Sanctuary Black Box)
- 2005: The Best Of — Martin Taylor (P3 Music)
- 2005: Best Smooth Jazz... Ever! — Various Artists (Liberty)
- 2008: A Cool & Danceable Adventure — Auratones (Challenge Records)
- 2008: Love Walked In – Tony Coe, Gerard Presencer, Brian Lemon & Dave Green (Zephyr Records)
- 2010: Monday Night Big Band & Anders Larson feat. Gerard Presencer
- "Gerard Presencer". Linn Records. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Home - B.H. Hopper Management". Hopper-management.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Engelsk stjernetrompetist i DR Big Bandet". DR. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- Tony Coe. "Dreams: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Play Gershwin: Love Walked In: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Mnbb & Anders Larson (Feat. Gerard Presencer): Mnbb & Anders Larson: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Ian Carr, Digby Fairweather, & Brian Priestley. Jazz: The Rough Guide. ISBN 1-85828-528-3
- Richard Cook & Brian Morton. The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD 6th edition. ISBN 0-14-051521-6
- Gerard Presencer — discography from AllMusic
- Gerard Presencer — Linn records page