Gerasimus of the Jordan
|Saint Gerasimus of the Jordan|
Icon of St. Gerasimus of the Jordan, depicting the taming of the lion.
|Roman Catholic Church; Eastern Orthodox Church|
|Feast||5 March (Roman Catholic Church); 4 March (Eastern Orthodox Church).|
Gerasimus of the Jordan (Greek: Γεράσιμος ὁ ἐν ᾿Ιορδάνῃ, Abba Gerasimus, Holy Righteous Father Gerasimus of Jordan—also spelled Gerasimos or Gerasim) - a Christian saint, monk and abbot of the 5th century AD. Born in the province of Lycia, the southern part of Asia Minor into a wealthy family.
Gerasimus left his family wealth and worldly affairs to become a monk. He departed for the region Thebaid in the Egyptian desert, later again returning to his native Lycia. About the middle of 5th century Saint Gerasimus went to Palestine and settled in wilderness near the Jordan River. There he established a monastery and became known for his righteous life of asceticism and prayer.
The story of Gerasimus and the lion, when the saint tamed the animal by removing a thorn from its paw and taught it obedience, became widely known in the Christian world. He is reputed to have attended to the Fourth Ecumenical Council at Chalcedon in 451.
Monastery of St. Gerasimus
The Greek Orthodox monastery of Deir Hajla near Jericho commemorates St. Gerasimus, whose lavra was nearby. The history of the monastery is also linked to another Christian narrative. Mary, Joseph and the infant Jesus were said to have found refuge in a cave here during their flight from Herod. An underground chapel was built on the spot where the Holy Family is believed to have spent the night.
- Saint Gerasimus, from the Russian Lives of the Saints based on the Menologion of St. Dimitry of Rostov, Orthodox Church in America.
- Gerasimus near the Jordan, A. Mertens, "Who was a Christian in the Holy Land?" - Encyclopedia, Studium Biblicum Franciscanum, Jerusalem
- St. Gerasimus, The Society of Clerks Secular of Saint Basil, The Orthodox Catholic Church of the Americas, Holy Inocents Orthodox Church BBS.
- Saint Gerasimus, Patron Saints Index, Star Quest Production Network
- Israel handbook: with the Palestinian Authority areas, За Dave Winter
- St. Gerasimus of the Jordan in St. Pachomius Library
- Venerable Gerasimus of the Jordan Orthodox icon and synaxarion
|This article about a saint is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|