Gerhard Conrad (pilot)
|Dipl.-Ing. Gerhard Conrad|
21 April 1895|
|Died||28 May 1982
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Service/branch||Deutsches Heer (1913 - 1918)
|Years of service||1914–1945|
|Commands held||Kampfgeschwader z.b.V. 2
Kampfgeschwader 27 "Boelcke"
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Dipl.-Ing. Gerhard Conrad[Notes 1] (21 April 1895 – 28 May 1982) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Luftwaffe during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Gerhard Conrad was captured by American troops in April 1945 and was held until July 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (1934)
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Bronze
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 24 May 1940 as Oberst and Geschwaderkommodore of Kampfgeschwader z.b.V. 2
- Cuff band Crete
- Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Order of Albert the Bear with swords
- Friedrich Cross
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award, 1st Class (1936)
- In German an engineer's degree is called Diplom-Ingenieur (abbreviated Dipl.-Ing.)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 129.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Gerhard Conrad @ Axis Biographical Research at the Wayback Machine (archived November 17, 2010)
|Commander of Kampfgeschwader zbV 2
1 September 1939 – 26 July 1940
Oberst Rüdiger von Heyking
Oberstleutnant Bernhard Georgi
|Commander of Kampfgeschwader 27 "Boelcke"
26 July 1940 – 6 October 1940
Major Gerhard Ulbricht