Gerhard Paul Hochschild (April 29, 1915, Berlin – July 8, 2010, El Cerrito, California) was a German-born American mathematician who worked on Lie groups, algebraic groups, homological algebra and algebraic number theory.
Hochschild wrote his thesis in 1941 at Princeton University with Claude Chevalley on Semisimple Algebras and Generalized Derivations. In 1956–7 he was at the Institute for Advanced Study. He was professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and from the end of the 1950s at the University of California, Berkeley.
Hochschild (1945) introduced Hochschild cohomology, a cohomology theory for algebras, which classifies deformations of algebras. Hochschild & Nakayama (1952) introduced cohomology into class field theory.
Among his students were Andrzej Białynicki-Birula and James Ax.
In 1955 he was a Guggenheim Fellow. In 1979 he was elected to the National Academy of Sciences, and in 1980 he was awarded the Leroy P. Steele Prize of the AMS.
See also 
- Hochschild, G. (1945), "On the cohomology groups of an associative algebra", Annals of Mathematics. Second Series 46: 58–67, ISSN 0003-486X, JSTOR 1969145, MR 0011076
- Hochschild, G.; Nakayama, Tadasi (1952), "Cohomology in class field theory", Annals of Mathematics. Second Series 55: 348–366, ISSN 0003-486X, JSTOR 1969783, MR 0047699
- Hochschild, G. (1965), The structure of Lie groups, San Francisco, Calif.: Holden–Day Inc., MR 0207883
- Hochschild, G. (1971), Introduction to affine algebraic groups, San Francisco, Calif.: Holden–Day Inc., MR 0277535
- Hochschild, Gerhard Paul (1981), Basic theory of algebraic groups and Lie algebras, Graduate Texts in Mathematics 75, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-90541-9, MR 620024
- Hochschild, Gerhard Paul (1983), Perspectives of elementary mathematics, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-90848-9, MR 710303
- Moore, Calvin C.; Ribet, Kenneth A.; Wolf, Joseph A. (2011), IN MEMORIAM Gerhard Hochschild Professor of Mathematics, Emeritus UC Berkeley 1915 - 2010
- Ferrer Santos, Walter (2011). "Gerhard Hochschild (1915/2010) A Mathematician of the XXth Century". arXiv:1104.0335.
- Ferrer Santos, Walter; Moskowitz, Martin, eds. (2011), "Gerhard Hochschild (1915-2010)", Notices of the American Mathematical Society 58 (8): 1078–1099, ISSN 0002-9920
External links