Gerhard von Kamptz
|Gerhard von Kamptz|
27 December 1902|
Koppaschütz, district of Schroda/Posen
|Died||16 May 1998
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic
|Years of service||1923–1945|
|Rank||Kapitän zur See|
|Commands held||2. Räumbootflottille
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves|
Gerhard von Kamptz ( 27 December 1902 – 16 May 1998) was a Kapitän zur See with the Kriegsmarine during World War II and recipient of the coveted Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Gerhard von Kamptz was made commander of the Danish island Bornholm on 5 March 1945. Von Kamptz refused to surrender the island to the Soviet forces, having been ordered to surrender to the Western Allies instead. He was taken prisoner of war by the Soviets and released on 1 January 1954.
- Iron Cross 2nd and 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945 (in German). Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas, 2000. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 3-87943-355-0.
- Schaulen, Fritjof (2004). Eichenlaubträger 1940 - 1945 Zeitgeschichte in Farbe II Ihlefeld - Primozic (in German). Selent, Germany: Pour le Mérite. ISBN 3-932381-21-1.
- External link