Germany's Next Topmodel
|Germany's Next Top Model|
|Created by||Tyra Banks|
Heidi Klum (1–present)
Bruce Darnell (1–2)
Boris Entrup (2)
Qualid Ladraa (5)
Armin Morbach (1)
Rolf Scheider (3-4)
Kristian Schuller (5)
Thomas Rath (6-7)
Enrique Badulescu (8)
|Opening theme||"Nasty Girl" (1)
"Hit Me Up" (2)
"Amazing (Remix)" (3)
"Fight For This Love" (5)
"Girls Beautiful" (6)
"Turn Me On" (7)
"Scream & Shout" (8)
|Country of origin||Germany|
|No. of seasons||9|
|No. of episodes||120 As of 30 May 2013[update]|
|Producer(s)||Tresor TV (former), RedSevenEntertainment|
|Running time||approx. 60-100 minutes|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original airing||January 25, 2006 - present|
Germany's Next Topmodel is a German reality television show, based on a concept that was introduced by Tyra Banks with America's Next Top Model. The competition is hosted by Heidi Klum. She also serves as the lead judge and executive producer of the show.
Each yearly search of Germany's Next Topmodel has 10 to 17 episodes and starts with 12-25 contestants. Each episode, one contestant is eliminated, though a double/triple elimination or no elimination was given by consensus of the judging panel.
Makeovers are administered to contestants early in the competition (usually after the first or second elimination in the finals).
Differences between ANTM and GNTM
While the American version's season premieres (except cycles 1, 2, 16, 17 and 18) start with thirty-something semi-finalists and they are cut down to a batch of ten to fourteen contestants, Germany's Next Topmodel season premieres begin with highlights from the auditions of 100 candidates (cycles 1 and 2) and 120 candidates (cycle 3) respectively.
The panel challenge in front of the judges on America's Next Top Model is almost always replaced by a runway walk in front of the judges on the German show.
In the elimination process on America's Next Top Model, host Tyra Banks hands out a photograph to each of the contestants who are safe, in order of merit.
The bottom two of each episode are called to stand before Banks and are judged individually. The call-out order does play a major role in determining who this week's best contestant was – quite in contrast to Germany's Next Topmodel where the call-out order does not say anything about the quality of the contestants' performance. Moreover, they are called out one by one while the others are waiting in the backstage lobby. The US contestants are all present. GNTM also starts the finale with 4 contestants left, it usually takes 2h. In ANTM, the finale starts with 3 contestants left and takes 1h.
The final five or six contestants travel to an international destination on the American show while Germany's version is noncommittal about the number of journeys abroad; cycle 1 went abroad two times, cycle 2 did so four times and cycle 3 went to five different international countries. Cycle 4 completely takes place in the USA, except for the casting and the final episode.
On America's Next Top Model the final two remaining models compete in a runway, and the winner is chosen in the judging room. On Germany's Next Topmodel, the final three contestants compete in a runway and a photo shoot in front of live audience in Cologne, Germany before the winner is revealed. The final show is live on TV. Cycle 4 final show was the first to air live from a concert hall instead of a TV studio. Due to the pregnancy of Heidi Klum, the start of the fifth season was postponed and will kick-off in March. Instead a spin-off called Die Model WG was shown featuring several former contestants from the show and hosted by judge Peyman Amin.
Only Heidi Klum herself has been part of the judging panel on every cycle. All the other permanent judges for one cycle has always been male. Peyman Amin was remaining a permanent judges the longest for four consecutive cycles. After leaving the show he eventually hosted the shows spin-off Die Model WG and signed cycle fives winner Alisar Ailabouni despite never meeting her on the show. Although Boris Entrup only was a regular judge on cycle two he still is part of the show (as in 2012) as the make up adviser for the girls.
|Qualid "Q" Ladraa||♦|
In 2012, ex-judge Rolf Scheider said, that the program "has not produced any top models" and "talentless but contentious girls stay in the show for dramatic factor as long as possible."  Regardless of that, he appeared on Austria's Next Top Model, Cycle 5 as a judge.
In 2013 Heidi Klum got criticized by the well-known German comedian Cordula Stratmann where she stated that "Heidi Klum is the face and soul of a cold-hearted, disgusting production. [...] She is the trainer in malice and condescension." 
In September 2013 Luise Will (Cycle 8) also withdraw from her contract with ONEeins. She stated that her time with that agency were "the worst two months of her life" and "thanked Jana Beller (Winner Cycle 6) for her help".
|Cycle||Premiere date||Winner||Runner-up||Other contestants in order of elimination||Number of contestants||International Destination(s)|
|1||January 25, 2006||Lena Gercke||Yvonne Schröder||Andrea Lichtenberg, Anne Mühlmeier, Celine Roscheck (quit), Rahel Krüger, Micaela Schäfer, Luise Mikulla, Charlotte Offeney, Lena Meier, Janina Ordmann, Jennifer Wanderer||12||
Los Angeles / New York
|2||March 1, 2007||Barbara Meier||Anni Wendler||Janine Mackenroth, Antje Pötke, Enyerlina Sanchez, Janina-Catharina Küpper, Alla Kosovan, Denise Dahinten, Aneta Tober, Tonia Michaely, Milla Gräfin von Krockow, Anja Platzer, Mandy Graff, Fiona Erdmann, Hana Nitsche||15||
|3||February 28, 2008||Jennifer Hof||Janina Schmidt||Rubina Radwanski, Aisha Grone, Sandra Korte, Aline Tausch, Tainá Santos Silva, Elena Rotter, Katharina Yvonne Harms, Gina-Lisa Lohfink, Bianca Schumacher, Sophia Maus, Vanessa Hegelmaier (quit), Sarah Knappik, Raquel Alvarez, Gisele Oppermann, Wanda Badwal, Carolin Ruppert, Christina Leibold||19||
New York / Los Angeles
|4||February 12, 2009||Sara Nuru||Mandy Bork||Olivia Bermann, Johanna Popp, Daphne Braun, Tessa Bergmeier, Dana Franke, Aline Bauer, Tamara Busch, Stefanie Theissing, Katrina Scharinger, Larissa Marolt, Ira Meindl, Sarina Nowak, Maria Beckmann, Jessica Motzkus, Marie Nasemann||17||
Los Angeles / Las Vegas / New York
|5||March 4, 2010||Alisar Ailabouni||Hanna Bohnekamp||Aline Kautz (quit), Lena Kaiser, Petra Roscheck, Lara Emsen, Luisa Krüger, Catherine Kropp, Nadine Höcherl, Miriam Höller, Wioleta Psiuk, Jacqueline Kohl, Viktoria Lantratova, Pauline Afaja, Leyla Mert, Louisa Mazzurana, Neele Hehemann, Laura Weyel||18||
New York / Los Angeles
|6||March 3, 2011||Jana Beller||Rebecca Mir||Chiara Isabell Breder, Lilia Doubrovina, Valerie Blum (quit), Concetta Mazza, Ivon Zito, Christien Fleischhauer, Amira Regaieg, Franziska König, Simone Rohrmüller, Tahnee Keller, Natascha Beil, Paulina Kaluza, Florence Lodevic, Isabel Rath, Sarah Jülich, Joana Damek (quit), Jil Goetz, Marie-Luise Schäfer, Lisa-Marie Könnecke, Sihe Jiang, Aleksandra Nagel, Anna-Lena Schubert, Amelie Klever||25||
Rio De Janeiro
|7||February 23, 2012||Luisa Hartema||Sarah-Anessa Hitzschke||Isabell Janku, Sabine Snobl, Franziska Poehling, Valerie-Charlotte Kirchner von Schröder, Anelia Moor, Michelle-Luise Lafleur, Natalia Kowalczykowska, Maxi Böttcher, Jasmin Abraha, Annabelle Rieß, Melek Civantürk, Shawny Sander, Laura Scharnagl, Inga Bobkow, Lisa Volz, Diana Ovchinnikova (quit), Evelyn Keck (quit), Sara Kulka, Kasia Lenhard, Dominique Miller||22|
|8||February 28, 2013||Lovelyn Enebechi||Maike van Grieken||Lisa Giulia Wendt, Michelle Maas, Höpke Voss (quit), Bingyang Liu (quit), Leandra Martin, Sophie Jungblut (quit), Anna Seebrecht, Jessika Weidner, Janna Wiese, Veronika Marie Weddeling, Jacqueline Thiessen, Leonie Marwitz, Carolin Sünderhauf, Christine Gischler, Marie Czuczman, Anna Maria Damm, Sabrina Elsner, Luise Will||20||
Los Angeles / New York / Honolulu
|9||February 6, 2014||TBA||TBA||Adriana Kurtzman, Aminata Ibinong, Anna-Theresa Wannider, Barbra Champman, Benardine Amel, Cecile Hoffman, Chloe Redmann, Farida Saoh, Gabrielle Nielson, Gianne Hanson-Boltz, Helen Schmidt, Imelda Rojas, Inka Newmann, Itje Segener, Jajia Oppuloh, Julie Ramba, Katarzyna Wasiwotska, Liza Martelli, Louise Inderman, Martina Kiegers, Miranda Eilser, Ophelia Halmutz, Pauvlina Piątkowska, Roseline Winge, Teyana Omarnen, Veronica Kimsan, Veronica Prabhakarun, Verrinna Schultz, Yanittza Kunlte, Zandeera Bobrow.||30||
- "Germany's Next TopModel 2012 - Intro / Opening Credits (Top 22)". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- ""Germany's Next Topmodel" startet mit Verlusten –". Quotenmeter.de. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Zickenkrieg bringt Topmodels Jahresbestwert –". Quotenmeter.de. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Star-Model Julia Stegner hält Heidi Klums Castingshow für realitätsfern". Digitalfernsehen.De. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Alisar lässt Heidi stehen •". News.at. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "GNTM: Nächstes Model klagt sich aus Vertrag!". Promiflash.de. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Der Spiegel (2012-02-26). "Ex-Juror attackiert "Topmodel"-Show: Manchen Mädchen fehlt "jegliches Talent zum Modeln" - SPIEGEL ONLINE". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "ARD-Star Cordula Stratmann: "Heidi Klum ist die Trainerin in Gehässigkeit" - TV" (in (German)). Bild.de. 2013-05-10. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Fotostrecke (2013-05-30). "Femen-Aktivistinnen protestieren bei GNTM - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Kultur". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- This time no official cast was announced. There was no fade-out group shot at the end of each episode, the opening clips only featured the top 18 and several girls did not appear on the annual final runway walk of the live final neither were they shown during the actual episodes. however OneEins management lists the entire top 25 as cast members of the Cycle while Pro Sieben lists profiles of only 22 original cast members plus one contestant that was eliminated in the top 50 round.
- Official promotional poster shows 22 girls dressed in gold
- "Germany’s Next Topmodel: Welche 3 Mädels kommen bei Heidi ins Finale? - TV" (in (German)). Bild.de. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Heidi Klum Films "Germany's Next Top Model"In Los Angeles, Models Are Everywhere! (Photos)". Babble.com. 2013-02-02. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Leah Simpson. "Heidi Klum's scrapes head on ceiling as towering shoes render her too tall for public transport | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Heidi Klum remains covered up on the beach as she films with bikini-clad models | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. 2013-03-01. Retrieved 2013-06-07.