Gerrit Kleerekoper with gymnasts
February 15, 1897|
|Died||July 2, 1943
Cause of death
|Murdered by Nazis at Sobibor extermination camp|
|Known for||Gymnastics Olympic Coach|
|Spouse(s)||Kaatje: murdered - July 2, 1943 at Sobibor extermination camp|
Elisabeth: murdered - July 2, 1943 at Sobibor extermination camp
Many years later Alida van den Bos, one of the gold-winning gymnasts, told in an interview how important Kleerekoper's contribution was:
"The training for the Olympics always took place at indoor gymnasiums even though the Olympics that year took place at an outdoor stadium. A few months prior to the Olympics, Kleerekoper made us only practice outdoors because he said that you never know how the weather will be the day of the Olympics and that we must be prepared for hot weather or any weather. The practice outside was very good, because we noticed that you have a lot more energy outdoors than needed."
The members of his Olympic gold-winning team were: Alida van den Bos, Estella Agsteribbe, Jacomina van den Berg, Petronella Burgerhof, Elka de Levie, Helena Nordheim, Ans Polak, Petronella van Randwijk, Hendrika van Rumt, Jud Simons, Jacoba Stelma and Anna van der Vegt.
On July 2, 1943, Gerrit Kleerekoper along with his wife Kaatje and their fourteen-year-old daughter Elisabeth were murdered by the Nazis at the Sobibór extermination camp in German-occupied Poland. Their twenty one-year-old son Leendert died of exhaustion in Auschwitz in July 1944.
- Interview with Alida van den Bos (in Dutch) Retrieved on 2009-04-20
- Schaffer, Kay; Smith, Sidonie (2000). The Olympics at the Millennium: Power, Politics, and the Games. Rutgers University Press. pp. 60–62. ISBN 978-0-8135-2820-5.
- Yogi Mayer, Paul (2004). Jews and the Olympic Games. Vallentine Mitchell. p. 238. ISBN 978-0-85303-451-3.
- Paauw, Ruud. After The Glory Retrieved on 2009-04-20
- Brouwer, Erik (2010). "De Moord op een Gouden Turnploeg". In van Liempt, Ad; Luitzen, Jan. Sport in de Oorlog (in Dutch). L.J. Veen. p. 54. ISBN 978-90-204-1936-8.
- Brouwer, Erik (2010). "De Moord op een Gouden Turnploeg". In van Liempt, Ad; Luitzen, Jan. Sport in de Oorlog (in Dutch). L.J. Veen. pp. 29–58. ISBN 978-90-204-1936-8.
- Corrrespondence of the Kleerekoper family, NIOD Toegang 247, Inventaris 135-137 (in Dutch).
Gerrit Kleerekoper and his family in Digital Monument to the Jewish Community in the Netherlands.