GestiFute full name Gestão de Carreiras de Profissionais Desportivos S.A. is a Portuguese company. It provides agent services for footballers. Unlike other football associations, Portugal allowed other parties to own part of the economic rights of the players, in order to receive part of the transfer fees. The company was founded by Jorge Mendes.
GestiFute involved in numbers of high profile move in European transfer market, such as Cristiano Ronaldo. Before FIFA set up a new law to restrict third parties ownership (with "significant influence"), GestiFute was actively involved in third parties ownership. However, it in fact conflict of interests, as GestiFute was both the owner and the agent of the player. After 2008, GestiFute only received agent fees for the deals the company broke, and not actively in third parties ownership, however a portion of the million transfer deal (such as 5%) was already half of, or even exceed the annual salary of the player.
In 2003, on 9 March, GestiFute announced that they represent Benfica's midfielder Tiago Mendes, who was previously represented by their rival company, Superfute. Approximately two months later, on 23 May, Tiago's teammate Ricardo Rocha traveled the same path, making a hugely surprising move to GestiFute. During the summer of that year, on 29 July, Porto bought 20% of Deco's economic rights from GestiFute for €2.25 million, plus 5% of Paulo Ferreira and Ricardo Carvalho economic rights, being this price a bit high than the presumed because the Portuguese team refused a €15 million offer from Barcelona. In the following month, on day 4, the same team bought more 15% of Deco's economic rights for €1.25 million, plus 10% of Benni McCarthy. However after acquiring 35% rights, Porto still owned 85% rights before he was sold.
In 2004 some players represented by GestiFute were transferred for record prices. The first one was Porto's defender Paulo Ferreira who joined the English club Chelsea for €20 million, on 22 June. One month later, on 27 July, Ferreira's teammate Ricardo Carvalho traveled at the same direction, moving from Porto to Chelsea for a fee of €30 million. Deco also was bought by Barcelona, but with smaller numbers than Ferreira and Carvalho. Barcelona agreed on a €15 million fee in cash, plus the complete rights of Ricardo Quaresma to Porto, which tagged Quaresma for €6 million.
In 2005, on 14 June, GestiFute acquired a reported 70% of Anderson's economic rights for €5.5 million. The midfielder, who was playing for Grêmio, signed for the company, getting established that he would not play for the Brazilian team again. Some days later, on 21 June, Porto bought Anderson, and GestiFute's Jorge Mendes guaranteed a reported 20% of the Brazilian rights with the club retain 65% economic rights. Later that year, on 9 December, the Tunisian midfielder Selim Benachour, who was in the Portuguese team Vitória de Guimarães, also signed for GestiFute. In 2006, on 1 December, the 18 years old midfielder Fábio Coentrão joined GestiFute.
In 2007, GestiFute's Jorge Mendes was responsible for the transfers of Pepe, who joined Real Madrid for €30 million, Simão Sabrosa, who was transferred to Atlético Madrid for €20 million, and Nani, who traveled to Manchester United after he dropped his existing agent, Ana Almeida. Also in that year, the Brazilian midfielder Anderson moved to Manchester United for €30 million, and his previous club, Porto, pay GestiFute's Jorge Mendes a reported €3 million for his share of Anderson's registration.
In 2010, in August, the football agent Gonçalo Reis complained that he had been left on the sidelines when Bébé, a player he represented, was transferred to Manchester United from Vitória de Guimarães. "When [Jorge] Mendes arrived," he said, "I was out of the transaction." Reis had arranged Bébé's move to Vitória from Estrela da Amadora in the Portuguese third division in July 2010 after the cancellation of his contract due to the club's inability to pay the player's wages. Manchester United signed Bébé for a reported fee of £7.4 million five weeks later. United's manager, Alex Ferguson, admitted that he had not seen Bébé play. Gestifute apparently received 30 percent of the transfer fee for their part ownership of the player's economic rights. Vitória's directors reported that Mendes had received €3.6 million of the €9 million fee from the deal, with reports in Portugal suggesting that €2.7 million of that sum came from the 30 percent of the player's economic rights initially retained by Bébé but bought from the player by Mendes for €100,000.
In summer 2008 GestiFute also signed 15% economic rights of Pelé as the latter was the piece-weigh of Internazionale to sign Quaresma. Quaresma himself joined Inter for €18.6M plus Pelé, was also represented by GestiFute. In June 2009, GestiFute signed Alexis Quintulen's 35% rights and Ignacio Ameli's 50% rights for €473 thousand.
In the same season Bébé left Portugal, GestiFute also broke the deal of Ángel Di María to Real Madrid for €25 million plus €11 million bonus. Two year before, GestiFute signed 10% economic rights from Benfica for €1 million, which Benfica the remain 20% earlier in August for €2 million. GestiFute also signed the rights to receive 30% profit of selling Sidnei after deducted the residual contract value (Portuguese: mais valia líquida).
In August 2011 Porto sold Falcao for €40 million. GestiFute and Orel B.V. received a total of €3.705 million agent fee (unknown ratio between the two company). GestiFute later (or before the deal) became the agent of the player. That season GestiFute also represented Coentrão in his €30 million deal to city rival Real Madrid.
GestiFute provide agency services for the following players:
|Name||Nationality||Occupation||Top transfer under Gestifute (only fees at least €1 million)||Source|
|From||To||Fee (million €)||Year|
|Abel Xavier||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||-||-||-||-|||
|Bruno Fernandes||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||-||-||-||-|||
|Derlei||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||Porto||Dynamo Moscow||7||2005|||
|Fábio Faria||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||Rio Ave||Benfica||2||2009|||
|Hugo Leal||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||Benfica||Atlético Madrid||3.75||1999|||
|Hugo Porfírio||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||-||-||-||-|||
|Ivo Damas||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||-||-||-||-|||
|Jorge Andrade||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||Porto||Deportivo||12||2002|||
|José Sousa||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||-||-||-||-|||
|Maniche||Portugal||Footballer (retired)||Porto||Dynamo Moscow||16||2005|||
- "Fasquia de 20 milhões" [Threshold of 20 million] (in Portuguese). Record. 9 March 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Ricardo Rocha na Gestifute" [Ricardo Rocha in Gestifute] (in Portuguese). Record. 23 May 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "70% de Deco" [70% of Deco] (in Portuguese). Record. 29 July 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Compra de 20% do passe do jogador Deco" [Purchase of 20% of Deco's rights] (in Portuguese). Porto. 28 July 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Salário de Deco vai ser melhorado" [Deco's salary will be improved] (in Portuguese). Record. 30 July 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Compra de 15% do passe do jogador Deco" [Purchase of 15% of Deco's rights] (in Portuguese). Porto. 4 August 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "FC Porto compra mais 15% do passe de Deco" [FC Porto purchase more 15% of Deco's rights] (in Portuguese). Record. 4 August 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Venda do passe do jogador Paulo Ferreira" [Sale of Paulo Ferreira pass] (in Portuguese). Porto. 22 June 2004. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Venda do passe do jogador Ricardo Carvalho" [Sale of Ricardo Carvalho pass] (in Portuguese). Porto. 27 July 2004. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Venda do passe do jogador Deco" [Sale of Deco's pass] (in Portuguese). Porto. 6 July 2004. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Grémio vende Anderson a Jorge Mendes" [Grémio sells Anderson to Jorge Mendes] (in Portuguese). Record. 14 June 2005. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Anderson já é dragão!" [Anderson is Dragon!] (in Portuguese). Record. 21 June 2005. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Maior negócio foi a transacção de Anderson para o M. United" [The largest business transaction was Anderson's sale for M. United] (in Portuguese). Diário de Notícias. 14 June 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Jose agent's £4m jackpot on Anderson", The Evening Standard, 1 June 2007. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Benachour assinou por Jorge Mendes" [Benachour signed for Jorge Mendes] (in Portuguese). Record. 10 December 2005. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Fábio Coentrão: "Procurei sempre aprender com o Figo"" [Fábio Coentrão: "I always tried to learn with Figo"] (in Portuguese). Record. 1 December 2006. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- Burt, Jason. "How Mendes has made himself key player behind the biggest deals in Europe", The Independent, 13 June 2008. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- Ogden, Mark. "Bébé's former agent claims he was cut out of Manchester United transfer deal", The Daily Telegraph, 26 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- Wilson, Paul. "Sir Alex Ferguson breaks the mould bringing Bébé to Manchester United", The Guardian, 18 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- Ogden, Mark. "Manchester United's Bébé deal saw sports agency Gestifute net 30 per cent of transfer fee", The Daily Telegraph, 28 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- Conn, David. "How Manchester United's Bébé went from street kid to €9m player", The Guardian, 20 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- "Oferta pública de subscrição - Prospecto" [Public Offer for Subscription – Prospectus] (pdf). Sporting CP (in Portuguese). 10 December 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "Comunicado" [Communication]. SL Benfica (in Portuguese) (CMVM). 25 November 2008.
- "RELATÓRIO E CONTAS CONSOLIDADO 1º SEMESTRE 2011/2012" [Half-Year Report and Accounts on 31 December 2011] (in Portuguese). FC Porto. 29 February 2012. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- Odete, Martins (4 February 2004). "Abel Xavier: "Quero estar na Selecção"" [Abel Xavier: "I want to be on the national team»]. Record (in Portuguese).
- Pinto, Vitor (16 April 2002). "Bruno já assinou contrato para as próximas três temporadas" [Bruno has signed for the next three seasons]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (14 June 2003). "Capucho como Laudrup" [Capucho like Laudrup]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (18 June 2003). "Capucho: Negócio fechado" [Capucho: Closed Business]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (24 April 2002). "César Peixoto: "O meu grande sonho era disputar o Europeu"" [César Peixoto: "My big dream was to compete in the European Championshit»]. Record (in Portuguese).
- Pereira, Carla (8 July 2002). "Peixoto pago em ano e meio" [Peixoto paid in year and a half]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (6 January 2009). "Carriço seguro até 2013" [Carriço until 2013]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (7 July 2004). "Quaresma: "Nem pensei duas vezes"" [Quaresma: "I did not think twice"]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (17 February 2008). "Mercado da redenção" [Redemption Market]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (21 June 2007). "Ninja leão por uma temporada" [Ninja lion for one season]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (10 August 1999). "Duda assina pelo Málaga" [Duda signs for Malaga]. Record (in Portuguese).
- Aurélio, Marco (23 September 2009). "Fábio Faria na rota da Luz" [Fábio Faria on the Light's route]. Record (in Portuguese).
- Ferreira, Nuno (3 December 2009). "Fábio Faria é reforço" [Fábio Faria is a reinforcement]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (15 August 1999). "Mercado: Transferência de Simão para Barcelona gera guerra entre empresários" [Market: Simão's transfer to Barcelona Simon creates a war between entrepreneurs]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (1 July 1999). "HUGO VENDIDO" [HUGO SOLD]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (8 July 1999). "Hugo Leal e Atlético Madrid negoceiam contrato" [Hugo Leal and Atletico Madrid negotiate contract]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (21 August 2005). "João Alves já é leão" [João Alves is already lion]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (21 July 2002). "Jorge Andrade apresentado" [Jorge Andrade presented]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (25 May 2005). "Maicon confirmado" [Maicon confirmed]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (13 May 2005). "Negócio fechado" [Closed business]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (4 February 2005). "Paíto estuda proposta" [Paíto studies proposal]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (18 January 2007). "Rocha negociado" [Rocha negotiated]. Record (in Portuguese).
- record.xl.pt staff (22 January 2007). "Ricardo Rocha viaja para Londres" [Ricardo Rocha travels to London]. Record (in Portuguese).
- Official Site (English) (Portuguese)