Get Down (Gilbert O'Sullivan song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Single by Gilbert O'Sullivan|
|from the album I'm a Writer, Not a Fighter|
"Get Down" is a song by Gilbert O'Sullivan, from his album I'm a Writer, Not a Fighter. Released as a single, it spent two weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart in April 1973, and was also a number-one hit in Ireland and a top-ten hit in the United States and Canada. The song was originally used by O'Sullivan as a piano warm-up tune, but was eventually extended into a full song.
Believed to be an order from O'Sullivan to his dog ("Get Down!"), the singer is actually referring to a girl in the song behaving as a dog jumping on him, hence the request to "get down".
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||1|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||3|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||3|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||1|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||2|
|Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders)||2|
This song, along with another one of O'Sullivan's songs, "Alone Again (Naturally)", were featured as the opening and ending for episode 24 of the Japanese anime hit Maison Ikkoku. At the time, O'Sullivan was signed to production company Kitty Film's associated record label, Kitty Records, which wanted to use the anime's popularity as a way to promote the singer's career in Japan. According to series director Kazuo Yamazaki, the reason the songs were dropped after only one episode was that they were unpopular with viewers; due to copyright issues, they were not included on the English-language American release of the anime, replaced by the previously used Japanese theme songs. The anime was based upon the popular manga of the same name by Rumiko Takahashi.
"The Twelfth of Never" by Donny Osmond
|UK Singles Chart number one single
April 7, 1973 (2 weeks)
"Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree" by Dawn featuring Tony Orlando
- "Gilbert O: He Knows He's A Mechanical Man". 1973-08-02. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- "Chart Track: Week 9, 1973". Irish Singles Chart.
- "I singoli più venduti del 1973". HitParadeItalia (in Italian). Creative Commons. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
10. Get Down - Gilbert O'Sullivan [#10]
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Gilbert O'Sullivan – Get Down". VG-lista.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Gilbert O'Sullivan search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Austriancharts.at – Gilbert O'Sullivan – Get Down" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Officialcharts.de – Gilbert O'Sullivan – Get Down". GfK Entertainment.
- "Swisscharts.com – Gilbert O'Sullivan – Get Down". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 1973). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Lescharts.com – Gilbert O'Sullivan – Get Down" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "get down - gilbert o'sullivan". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Retrieved 25 July 2013. Hoogste notering in de top 30 : 1
|This 1970s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|